[wtp-dev] Initial JST componentization released for I-builds -- Clarifying exactly what our features are

Since our builds are getting ahead of my documentation :)
I thought I'd at least clarify quickly in a note, my understanding of
our current feature.xml structure.

In addition to the previously mentioned "component features" .... all in some <component>/features directory in CVS,
there are still important ones in wst and jst/assembly directories.

= = = = = = = = = = = =

Two are "plugins" that, in Eclipse terminology, are "product plugins".
As far as I know, these serve little role, except
        currently capabilities are defined there (I'm not sure that'll always be true?).
        I think, I've heard, these are what determines what "shows up" in update manager.
        anything else?

org.eclipse.jst
org.eclipse.wst

= = = = = = = = = = = =

Plus, there are the following "assembly" features .. which really do just
"assemble" the components into the jst and wst "products".

org.eclipse.jst.feature
org.eclipse.jst.sdk
org.eclipse.jst.tests

org.eclipse.wst.feature
org.eclipse.wst.sdk
org.eclipse.wst.tests.feature

There are several "doc" features which will eventually be used to enable "stand alone" doc builds.
The docs are normally included in their component features, but these "doc features" are just a
convenient assembly mechanism and will likely be used someday to produce docs for the "web info center",
possibly even outside a normal "release" date.

As always .. I write these long notes so everyone can point out my errors :)

Back to the top