Re: [wtp-dev] Status of Weekly I-build ... and (lack of) M9 test candidate - TODO for Friday, and Tuesday

J2EE Component PASSES

Our Junits pass.

Sniff tested EAR creation with all module types   (EJB,WAR,AppClient, Connector).
EAR Import - a few minor bugs, but works for happy path
Servlet Creation, War adds Utility jar, then runs on tomcat 5.0 server

- Chuck

Rational J2EE Tooling Team Lead
IBM Software Lab - Research Triangle Park, NC
Email:  cbridgha@xxxxxxxxxx
Phone: 919-254-1848 (T/L: 444)

Timothy Deboer <deboer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

11/11/2005 10:07 AM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."

"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [wtp-dev] Status of Weekly I-build ... and (lack of) M9 test        candidate - TODO for Friday, and Tuesday

Well, JUnit tests work. The failure was due to a change in another component, but it revealed a bug in server tools. I've fixed this and released via 116010. I'd like a respin, but otherwise my testing went fine and I'm ready to declare this I-build.

Thanks,

Tim deBoer
WebSphere Tools - IBM Canada Ltd.
(905) 413-3503  (tieline 969)
deboer@xxxxxxxxxx

David M Williams <david_williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

11/11/2005 01:06 AM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."

wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[wtp-dev] Status of Weekly I-build ... and (lack of) M9 test candidate - TODO for Friday, and Tuesday

Build is ready at: http://download.eclipse.org/webtools/committers/drops/I-I200511110103-200511110103

Based on the status call today, (and a few chat's afterwards) here's the plan for the next few days -- at least, this is my
recommendation sifting though all the comments and concerns ... if I've missed or misunderstood anything, let me know.

Friday

1. Please "sniff test" 11110103 I-build in /committers area and report "pass or fail" to wtp- releng... we will still look to officially
declare and promote this build on Friday, 11th.
(after the status call, some teams reminded me the last I-build was pretty broken, and it was thought very important to have a
better one on download site).  "Must hear" teams, please report by Friday noon (eastern).

1B. This build has two failing JUnit tests. Server team .. are these significant functional failures, or just "test problems"?

1C. If we do any I-build at all, I will also release fixes for
Bug 115959 (Two SDK "source plugins" mistakenly jarred)

We'll still leave head builds going ... so those with new code, can start to get a sense of how that's going (but ... you'll
remember my view .. head builds are not great, and you can do a lot just in development environment.

Friday to Tuesday

The committers decided that we have not achieved what we need for M9, and (.. this is the important part ... ) that we
could with a few more days of "new code" before M9, and then still hold the line that post M9 will be entirely rampdown ...
testing, documentation, and bug fixes only, after M9 declared.  Below I've listed the (only) areas of "new code" allowed
(at least, without further review and discussion of PMC).
This "new code" will be complete by Tuesday evening, we will produce another declared I-build on Wednesday, 16th, before noon (eastern) ..
and this Wednesday I-build will be the official M9 candidate that will begin full testing. Since we also want to achieve a high
quality, stable M9 build, it was recommended by the committers that official M9 declare day should change from 11/18 to 11/23 to allow a full
week of "milestone testing". The PMC will discuss and decide and announce this change of dates at Tuesday PMC meeting.
[There was some concern expressed if we would have adequate time to ramp down, and have high quality Release 1. My own
thought is "yes we can" ... but ... due to these concerns, progress and rampdown will be closely monitored]. There is no proposal (so far)
to change the Release date.

"P1" needs before M9 candidate build on Wednesday.

1. Componitize JST feature. (As discussed, this does not mean fixing *all* the "misfits" this componentization has revealed,
e.g. some "core" plugins, will need to be in "ui" component features for Release 1.0.  But .. the basic feature structure needs to be
in place.

2. Finish getting docs in builds. (This mostly depends on '1' above, but, some "new work" too).

3. Finish facet aware wizards (as per Chuck's note .. basics are in place .. but, needs to be finished).

4. web project "refactoring" ability (more than it sounds .. umbrella for 6 or 7 important items). Code is ready, needs to be submitted as
patch, built, and confirmed in build before full testing.

5. Extensible Runtime Bridge for facets ... a bit of a "hole" exposed by some "portal extenders". (Kosta and Tim are
near solution and API addition).

6. Facet Core/UI extension (sorry Kosta .. I missed details of this one .. but any thing that improves core/ui separation is critical, IMHO).

Everyone not involved in the above ... please test and start fixing known critical problems (that are not destabilizing).

Please (conceptually) treat  every build as "a declared I-build" .. not that every "warm up" will be declared, but all teams should be sniffing
at least once a day, if not more, and having Xtreme partner review code changes, etc.

If there's ever any doubt, please don't hesitate to ask myself, Tim, Arthur, or Naci for advice or help.

Thanks everyone.