RE: [wtp-dev] post M8 api changes

Hi Thomas,

The getLocation() method was removed from IJ2EEModule since none of the J2EE modules in WTP have a single 'location'. Now that the .deployables directory is gone, from a server's view the modules really consist of a set of directories, e.g. the web content and the compiled Java output in different locations. IJ2EEModule is really the interface for a flexible J2EE project, and it's the mechanism that allows the servers in WTP to deploy this type of module. Given that the flexible project will never have a single output location (i.e. it could never be using in WTP and would always return null), I'm not in favor of leaving this method on the interface. The long term goal is actually to get rid of these interfaces completely and allow servers to adapt directly to the flexible project model.

Note that if you want to create a new type of J2EE project in a downstream product, you can either extend IJ2EEModule or allow your modules to be adapted to a different interface, thus providing additional support or methods above what is provided in the standard flexible projects.

Thanks,
Tim deBoer
WebSphere Tools - IBM Canada Ltd.
(905) 413-3503  (tieline 969)
deboer@xxxxxxxxxx

"Thomas Yip" <tyip@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

10/17/2005 02:29 PM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."

"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
RE: [wtp-dev] post M8 api changes

Regarding 2/, what if the module isn’t a flex project.

I think the IModule and IJ2EEModule provide an abstraction so that user can plug their own implementation. Most code that deals with IModule doesn’t necessary care about the actual type of IModule. I think it is a good idea to have getLocation() method back.

Thomas