[wtp-dev] Minutes for the WTP Status Telecon, 2005-10-13

Attendees:

Amy Wu
, Chris Brealey, Chuck Bridgham, Craig Salter, David Williams, Der Ping,        Jeffrey Liu, John Lanuti,         Kathy Chan, Larry Dunnell, Nitin Dahyabhai, Phil Avery, Sheila Sholars, Tim Wagner, Ted Bashor, Thomas Yip, Konstantin Komissarchik, Jill Maclem

See WTP Status Telecons [1] for more information.

[1] http://eclipse.org/webtools/development/status-telecons/index.html

Time: 9:00 PM EEST (Istanbul), 2:00 PM EDT (Toronto/Raleigh), 11:00 AM PDT (Seattle)

Toronto Dial-in number: +1-416-343-2604
Toll-free Dial-in number: +1-866-576-2504
Intl Dial-in number: 800-4444-3030
Information: +1-866-224-5844

Conference id: 9976929

Agenda

1. Review of Open Action Items [1] - Arthur Ryman

110308 enh P3 PC david_williams@xxxxxxxxxx ryman@xxxxxxxxxx NEW --- [action] Add WTP 1.0 WST Component API Plan Items to Mas...
110309 enh P3 PC jst.jsp-inbox@xxxxxxxxxxx ryman@xxxxxxxxxx NEW --- [action] Add WTP 1.0 JST Component API Plan Items to Mas...
110312 enh P3 PC ryman@xxxxxxxxxx ryman@xxxxxxxxxx ASSI --- [action] Automatically Merge Bugzilla Work Items with XML...
111141 nor P3 PC jeffliu@xxxxxxxxxx ryman@xxxxxxxxxx ASSI --- [action] Indicate JUnit Test Name with Performance Results
111843 nor P3 PC jeffliu@xxxxxxxxxx ryman@xxxxxxxxxx ASSI --- [action] Add Large Workspace to Performance Test Bucket
111844 nor P3 PC jeffliu@xxxxxxxxxx ryman@xxxxxxxxxx NEW --- [action] Use OSGi Manifests and Single JAR Plug-ins
111849 nor P3 PC ryman@xxxxxxxxxx ryman@xxxxxxxxxx ASSI --- [action] Create bugs to Update component.xml for all plan...

[1]
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?short_desc_type=casesubstring&short_desc=%5Baction%5D&product=Web+Tools&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED

Jeff - Bug 110308. David, have you opened bugs for declaring APIs?

David - WST done. Will create API plan for JST.

Arthur - Bug 110312.
http://eclipse.org/webtools/plans/1.0/
http://eclipse.org/webtools/plans/1.0/buglist-report-index.html

http://eclipse.org/webtools/plans/1.0/bugzilla-milestone-plans.html

Arthur - Investigating how to make these pages dynamic by using PHP or an XSLT servlet

Jeff - Bug 111141. Created a page [1] that shows your performance JUnit results. It shows you which testcases are being run, any exceptions being thrown in your testcases and etc.

[1] http://download.eclipse.org/webtools/performance/index.php

Jeff - Got some suggestion from David, will work on it more...

Jeff - Bug 111843. Large workspace testcase committed, it will be run in this week's I-build. Will close bug once the results are in.

Jeff - Bug 111844. RDB and most of the XSD/WSDL/WSI plug-ins are now single jarred. Will contact the owners of plug-ins that are not yet single jarred.

[action] Action for Jeff, open bugs for plug-ins that are not single jarred.

David - How many plug-ins are not single jarred?

Jeff - 10 or so

Jeff - Bug 111849. Did component leads receive bugs to update component.xml?

Daivd - Done. Bugs already opened.

Component leads - component.xml are pretty up-to-date, should be good to use for API checking.

Jeff - Translation packs for WTP 0.7.1 are now available for download. The official Eclipse announcement is here[1].

[1] http://www.eclipse.org/org/press-release/20051012nlscb.html

2. WTP 1.0 M9 Status - David Williams

Review bug backlog, builds, and plans.

Daivd - Weekly I-build candidate is out, looks good so far. Please smoke test by noon.

David - Still have 2 blockers.

111253  blo  P3  nagrawal@xxxxxxxxxx  REOP  EJB Validator gives CHKJ2802E error when ejb project dep...
111886  blo  P3  cbridgha@xxxxxxxxxx  NEW  j2ee webservice plugin startup problems

Daivd - The Web service plug-in startup problem, doesn't look serious.

Chuck - It's a ClassNotFound exception at startup. This class has been renamed already, so not sure why we are getting that. Tried -clean, doesn't help, could be a configuration problem.

Chuck - For the EJB validator bug, it only happens on Linux headless environment. Although it's blocking this particular scenario, the scenario itself is not main stream.

David - We have 22 critical bugs. There's about 10 of them that do not have a target milestone. Critical bugs should have a target, component leads please take a look. We need to target them by next weekWe only have 3 weeks left till M9.

[action] Component leads to review critical bugs and assign a milestone target.

[action] Action for David to create a link to the committers build page.

http://download.eclipse.org/webtools/committers

3. WTP 1.0 Performance - Jeffrey Liu

Review the Top Ten performance problems and the fix plan for them.

Jeff - Not much to report here other than the action items from above.

Daivd - Please make sure your JUnit testcase can also be run in 0.7. We want to see the imporvements.

Jeff - If your testcase does not work in 0.7, you can send me one that works and I'll run it for you.

4. WTP 1.0 API Scans - Jeffrey Liu

Review the status of the API scans including our Javadoc and JUnit coverage, errors in the API, and violations of the Eclipse Platform API.

Jeff - API reports are now available for the latest 1007 I build.

[action] Action for Jeff. Open bugs for API violation (per component).

5. WTP Features and Subsystems Status [1] - David Williams

[1] http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/development/arch_and_design/subsystems/SubsystemsAndFeatures.html

David - Updated document from last week. It is questionable how we handle the JST division. Someone suggested more fine grain features.

David - I have feature definition in my local workspace. Plan to roll out the WST side first and then get feedback.

Ted - For the product adapters, are we going to have one feature per vendor or a feature for all?

David - The plan is a feature for all. Not sure if there's any requirements to pick out specific one. This is open to debate, if a requirement comes in, we can discuss it.

Ted - I'm sure products building on top of WTP would all like the ability to pick and choose which server type they want and not want to include.

Konsta - For example, we don't want to see the Generic WebLogic adaptors since we have a custom one that provides much more integration.

David - Let's do this in small steps. First off, let's roll out with one big feature. Then we can revisit this requirement and refine the feature if necessary.

Craig - Wouldn't capability solve this issue?

Jeff - Does capability just filiter UI?

Craig - No, it can filter based on extension points.

6. Flexible Project Development Status - Chuck Bridgham

Chuck - Not much update here... We need to define the set of facets.

Jeff - Chris/Kathy, is Web service still on schedule to complete the port (based on the schedule that Kathy sent out previously)?

Kathy - We are a bit behind. Tim D. may need a couple more days to complete his port.

Chuck - We were going to remove the component type ID and replace it with project facet APIs this week. However, we are now going to delay it to next week.

Ted - We'll be adopting the new project facet wizard when we take on the new APIs.

Chuck - That's a lot of work. You can get onto our framework and use our current wizard to create facet projects.

Chris - So can you have API and framework going by next week I-Build?

Chuck - The target for the facet APIs is next week.

Chris - Should we expect breakages in APIs?

Chuck - There will be some in the component APIs, which we announced. For others, we can work together if any comes up

Chuck - The operations framework will be funcational.

David - Does all projects need to have a facet?

Chuck - All J2EE projects will have at least one base facet, the Java facet.

Chuck - However, we don't have the set of facet defined. Need to work on that.

Ted - I can write a proposal for that, and iterate from it.

[action] Action for Ted. Create a proposal for facets.

David - What about users from version 0.7 that need to move to this facet model in 1.0?

Konsta - Users are not required to use facets if they do not want to.

David - For those who want to exploit facets, any migration plan?

Chuck - Correct, we need to consider migration from 0.7.

Ted - When registering projects to EAR? Are there any plans for an event model? something API-able?

Chuck - Possiblely, we don't have an event model now, but you can listen on the EAR's EMF model. I can show you how to do that.

7. Project Facets Development Status -Konstantin Komissarchik

Konsta - API level development happening.

Jeff - Can they be single jarred?

Konsta - They will, trying to resolve some image loading issues first.

8. Other Business - Open

Ted - Just want to get Tim's status on getting rip of .deployable. Just want to see if people have tried exporting EAR now that it's gone.

Chuck - Pretty sure it is not working.

David - Remember the bug about more flexibility in naming Web content and Java source. Ted u looking at it?

Ted - yea. Trying to get some people to create some UI for that.

Ted - We have some usability suggestions for the properties panel in the J2EE page as well. We might be able to implement the suggestions as well :)

Ted - We will post some suggestions and ask for feedback.

David - What's Dynamic Web project (new)?

Chuck - That's the new facet wizard. Just a temporary thing.

Konsta - We also have new wizards for EAR, utility projects, etc. So you can play around with the new UI.

Thanks,

Jeffrey Liu
IBM Rational Software - Performance Analyst
IBM Toronto Lab.
8200 Warden Ave. Markham, Ontario, L6G 1C7
Internal mail: D3/R8V/8200/MKM (D3-268)
T/L: 969 3531
Tel: (905) 413 3531
Fax: (905) 413 4920