Re: [wtp-dev] Proposal for a WTP 1.5 code stream

Hi John,

Thanks for pointing that out. I meant the Eclipse 3.2 code stream, not the Eclipse 3.2 release.

I agree with you that there are already tons of work lined up for the WTP 1.0, like some of the items you mentioned below. However, I don't think closing the doors on adopters of the Eclipse 3.2/WTP 1.5 code until delivery of WTP 1.0 is the ideal solution either. IMHO, if a fix is relatively simple (15 mins), I suggest we make the fix since it will make our clients' life that much easier. Yes, small fixes do add up and some fixes might be more involved. We'll just have to prioritize the work base on how important the item is, time and effort. But without some concerete data about WTP 1.5 such as number of compile errors/JUnit failures, we do not know whether it will be an easy effort that will make our clients very happy or a very involved exercise. Initially, if we make the WTP 1.5 code stream build off of the HEAD map files, the number of compilation errors will tell us how many APIs are broken in the Eclipse 3.2 code stream. The number of JUnit failures will give us a good picture of how much WTP functions are broken running on top of the Eclipse 3.2 code base. These information will help us understand and size the porting effort.

Just to emphasize, I'm not saying we should create a WTP 1.5 stream today. My intention is to start thinking about this early on and decide on the best time to make this move.

Thanks,

Jeffrey Liu
IBM Rational Software - Performance Analyst
IBM Toronto Lab.
8200 Warden Ave. Markham, Ontario, L6G 1C7
Internal mail: D3/R8V/8200/MKM (D3-268)
T/L: 969 3531
Tel: (905) 413 3531
Fax: (905) 413 4920
jeffliu@xxxxxxxxxx

John Lanuti <jlanuti@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

10/06/2005 09:40 AM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."

"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [wtp-dev] Proposal for a WTP 1.5 code stream

Saying Eclipse 3.2 is available is a bit misleading.  Eclipse M2 milestone of 3.2 is what is available.

It seems like it is very early to force teams to have to worry about split streams and about WTP 1.5 deliverables when we really have just started on WTP 1.0.  There is a ton of code churn going in because of the removal of multiple modules per project and the project facets, as well as the removal of the .deployables.   These items need the utmost attention to ensure the overall quality is moving forward.  Would you take a development resource off of the WTP 1.0 stream so that they could make a fix for an early adopter of WTP 1.5?  The 1.0 release of WTP is on Eclipse 3.1.1.  That is what we should be trying to deliver.  The only reason we should start a new stream early is if Eclipse has finished a feature request of ours for 3.2 and so that we could get an early start on the game for WTP 1.5.  I don't think that is the case just yet.  So, to summarize, my concerns would be with delivering a solid, high quality WTP 1.0 on the Eclipse 3.1.1 release before having to worry about appeasing any early adopters of Eclipse 3.2.

Thanks,

John Lanuti
Software Engineer, IBM Rational
jlanuti@xxxxxxxxxx
t/l 441-7861

"I know this lady way down in my country.
She is so pretty that my eyes throw disguises at me.
Now we will sit and we'll wonder about our future,
But now I'm thinking that today sounds fine to me."  - Of A Revolution

Jeffrey Liu <jeffliu@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

10/05/2005 05:12 PM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."

"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[wtp-dev] Proposal for a WTP 1.5 code stream

In Thursday's WTP status telecon, I would like to discuss the possibility of opening up a WTP 1.5 code stream. Now that Eclipse 3.2 is available, vendors will start building products on top of Eclipse 3.2. For those vendors who also use WTP, they'll need a WTP build that works on top Eclipse 3.2. However, such WTP build does not exist. We are still building on top of Eclipse 3.1.1 and we have yet to test WTP on top of Eclipse 3.2. To encourage the adoption of WTP and to allow these vendors to make progress, I would like to propose we open up a WTP 1.5 code stream and start building WTP on top of Eclipse 3.2.

Initially, we can keep the 1.0 code stream and the 1.5 code stream common as much as possible by only fixing Eclipse 3.2 API changes. That way, the effort to maintain dual code streams can be kept to a minimal. Your suggestions/comments/concerns are welcome.

Thanks,

Jeffrey Liu