[wtp-dev] .deployables .disappearing

Hi,

As tracked under several bugs (e.g. 97756), the removal of the .deployable folder is finally upon us. For those of you who haven't been involved, here's a summary of why we're making this change and the current status.

Up to and including M8, assembly of J2EE modules was done within the user's workspace in a folder called .deployables. On each build, the module's contents were copied into the right place to create a normal expanded J2EE structure within the .deployables directory. This made it easy for many server types to publish the application, but it had a number of drawbacks:
  • Some servers (e.g. remote ones) don't require assembly to be done within the workspace, resulting in unnecessary copying.
  • Every server has different runtime requirements (e.g. do utility projects need to be jarred and placed within a Web module, or can they be run expanded?), so the .deployables is server-type specific and once again causes unnecessary copying or issues at runtime. There is also an issue if the user wants to run on two different server types at once.
  • By doing this in the workspace, we expose the user to extra clutter, must mark the resources correctly to avoid adding them into SCM tools, etc.

As of this week, the builders are being removed and assembly will be done outside of the workspace, by each server type and for it's own requirements. In some cases this will actually cause additional copying, but we are able to process this using deltas and it avoids the pitfalls noted above. Since this is a major change and requires updates to every server type, this week's integration build will have crippled server support for many operations. The server tools and J2EE teams are focussed on getting function restored and fixing issues as they come up, so we hope to have things working again in short order.

Thanks,
Tim deBoer
WebSphere Tools - IBM Canada Ltd.
(905) 413-3503  (tieline 969)