Re: [wtp-dev] Website link clean-up

Lawrence,

Thx for the cleanup.

I'd like to point out that the magic "root" variable depends on the nesting depth ot the directory of your page. If you are unsure how it works, look at in a correct xml source file that is nested at the same depth from the /www directory.

I've been thinking about the redirection problem and I came to the conclusion that we should create a common "/www/webtools/redirects.xml" file that paired the old and new locations, and then generating a redirect document at the old location that redirects to the new location. Then when we get better support for redirects, we can cut over easily. Developers would just have to add an entry to the redirects.xml file and regenerate.

e.g.

<redirects>
        <document old="/development/myplan.html" new="/plans/myplan.htm"/>
        <document old="/development/mytest.html" new="/tests/mytest.htm"/>
</redirects>

Arthur Ryman,
IBM Software Group, Rational Division

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@xxxxxxx

Lawrence Mandel/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

09/30/2005 05:57 PM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."

wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[wtp-dev] Website link clean-up

I spent a good chunk of time today cleaning up 300-400 broken links on the WTP website. I wanted to post here a couple of the reasons I found for the broken links in the hope that we won't put the site in this state again.

1. Ensure the root variable (

2. Do not move files around. Unlike your local drive, once files are placed on the website those files should remain in the same location. If you do need to move a file you should place a redirect where the file is currently located that points to the new location. If you're not sure how to do this I'm happy to help.

You should also check the links in your documents before you post them. Many documents had invalid image and resource links. This can be very irritating for site visitors.

And, try to avoid using MS office to create Web content. On top of creating very large HTML documents, office creates several links in your documents which show up as invalid.

WTP's website is our primary means of getting information to our community including WTP downloads, plans, and documentation. We need to ensure the links on the WTP site work to facilitate the flow of WTP information.

Thanks everyone.

Lawrence Mandel

Software Developer
IBM Rational Software
Phone: 905 - 413 - 3814   Fax: 905 - 413 - 4920
lmandel@xxxxxxxxxx