Re: [wtp-dev] Top Ten reasons for compiler warnings

Yes, this was debated a lot in the related bugs Tim mentions.

I think the best course of action is to set the preferences to use fully qualified names in JavaDoc, so 'import' is not needed for that.

The preference settings will help with that for new JavaDoc, but some existing places might have to be fixed by hand
(which is easy to do using quick assist/fix).

And, I know this is really needed in some places, but I've also found cases where the JavaDoc is "old" and out of date ....
after all, if the JavaDoc refers to something that is not in code, seems kind of a special case.

David

Timothy Deboer <deboer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

10/03/2005 11:08 AM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."

"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [wtp-dev] Top Ten reasons for compiler warnings

Hi,

This sounds like JDT bug 51529 that I ran into a few months ago. Oddly enough, these imports may be required if you plan to generate JavaDoc, even if they are never used by the code. This is an odd one, so see the bug for how to turn off the JavaDoc option in your workspace to see the correct 'code only' warnings.

If the code doesn't form part of the ISV documentation, I vote we should remove the 'javadoc imports' and thereby clean up the compile warnings. However, if the JavaDoc is being used as part of our formal documentation, we've got an interesting issue here - clean up the compile warnings, or risk broken links in our JavaDoc? Someone could also investigate if the build can suppress warnings on imports used for javadoc.

Thanks,

Tim deBoer
WebSphere Tools - IBM Canada Ltd.
(905) 413-3503  (tieline 969)
deboer@xxxxxxxxxx

Jason A Sholl <jsholl@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

10/03/2005 10:25 AM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."

"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [wtp-dev] Top Ten reasons for compiler warnings

I noticed that some of the warnings flagged in the build are unused imports.  However, when I opened the class, there were no warnings because the unused import was referenced in a JavaDoc comment.

Thank you,

Jason A. Sholl
jsholl@xxxxxxxxxx
919-543-0011 (t/l 441-0011)

Chuck Bridgham/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

10/03/2005 09:37 AM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."

"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [wtp-dev] Top Ten reasons for compiler warnings

I second Chris's response - I did make some progress before M8, but since have been more concerned over the changes for flex project/facets.

Maybe we can highlight the need for community help on these?

Thanks - Chuck

Rational J2EE Tooling Team Lead
IBM Software Lab - Research Triangle Park, NC
Email:  cbridgha@xxxxxxxxxx
Phone: 919-254-1848 (T/L: 444)

Chris Brealey <cbrealey@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

10/03/2005 08:26 AM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."

"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [wtp-dev] Top Ten reasons for compiler warnings

David,

to answer your question, the short answer for Web services is door #1: Not enough time; or, more accurately, there usually seems to be something more critical to work on. It's been a while since the last time we chipped away at compiler warnings. We'll try to do as you suggest, and spend a couple of hours on this. As always, help from the community would be most welcome!

Cheers - CB.

Chris Brealey
Senior Advisory Technical Manager, Rational Java Web Services, IBM Canada Ltd.
D3-275, D3/ENX/8200/MKM, 8200 Warden Avenue, Markham, Ontario, Canada, L6G 1C7
cbrealey@xxxxxxxxxx, 905.413.6038, tieline:969.6038, fax:905.413.4920
David M Williams <david_williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

10/02/2005 03:46 PM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."

wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[wtp-dev] Top Ten reasons for compiler warnings

Many thanks to those that have worked to decreased our

compiler warninggs, we've gone from

1239 in M8, to
1110 in last weekly I-build, to
885 in last continuous I-build,

(the last chunk done by me, not sure
who did the first chunk).

But, 885 is still WAY too many, and
the "top ten" list has not changed that much,
since the last time I sent this note -- 6 weeks ago!

Can these component leads educate me on what
the problem is? Is it that you simple don't
have enough time? Is it that you disagree that
its important? Would a "how to use Eclipse" session help
to learn how easy it is to fix these? Is there some
technical issue I do not understand?

(I would think a huge number could be fixed in one hour,
and do not think you have to fix all at once, let's just
have some steady progress, and a "time-window-box" of
1 hour is reasonable. That is, what ever progress is made in one
hour would suffice for a first attempt. Let me know
how that works out ... if one hour is not a good estimate.
Can we get one hour spent during the next week so for the
next wwekly I-build be greatly reduced?

Top Ten number of warnings and my understanding

of who is the responsible component lead.

These top ten projects account for 587, of the
remaining 885.

o.e.wst.xsd.ui                  186  Craig

o.e.wst.wsdl.ui                 104  Craig

o.e.wst.wsi                      65  Craig

o.e.wst.rdb.models.sql           60  Der Ping

o.e.jst.j2ee                     34  Chuck

o.e.wst.ws.explorer              29  Chris

o.e.jst.j2ee.core                26  Chuck

o.e.wst.rdb.server.ui            26  Der Ping

o.e.jst.ws.axis.consumption.ui   24  Chris

o.e.wst.common.modulecore        24  Chuck

Most of these are very easy to fix and

clean up, but does need to be done by

the responsible parties, since there are

occasionally cases that require some

understanding of the code.

Of course, if your not in the top ten, you
still fix yours too. :)

Many thanks for your attention, _______________________________________________
wtp-dev mailing list
wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx