[wtp-dev] Website link clean-up

I spent a good chunk of time today cleaning up 300-400 broken links on the WTP website. I wanted to post here a couple of the reasons I found for the broken links in the hope that we won't put the site in this state again.

1. Ensure the root variable (<meta name="root" content="../../../../" />) is set correctly in your XML files. Having the root variable set incorrectly leads to incorrect references to Eclipse images and stylesheets.

2. Do not move files around. Unlike your local drive, once files are placed on the website those files should remain in the same location. If you do need to move a file you should place a redirect where the file is currently located that points to the new location. If you're not sure how to do this I'm happy to help.

You should also check the links in your documents before you post them. Many documents had invalid image and resource links. This can be very irritating for site visitors.

And, try to avoid using MS office to create Web content. On top of creating very large HTML documents, office creates several links in your documents which show up as invalid.

WTP's website is our primary means of getting information to our community including WTP downloads, plans, and documentation. We need to ensure the links on the WTP site work to facilitate the flow of WTP information.

Thanks everyone.

Lawrence Mandel

Software Developer
IBM Rational Software
Phone: 905 - 413 - 3814   Fax: 905 - 413 - 4920
lmandel@xxxxxxxxxx

Back to the top