Re: [wtp-dev] How to do local builds?

Hi jeff,

The new builds are organized under 3 concepts:  Components, Distributables and Generic Scripts.

Components:  These build on the fine grain feature descriptions that are being developed by David.  Each "buildable" component will have its folder under the components directory.  This folder contains a customTargets.xml, which is described in the PDE builds.  When we run the build for a components, the result is a zip that contains all the features/plugins for that feature.
To run a component build, we use a generic build script and pass the component name (i.e. component=jst) .

Distributable:  A distributable is a  downloadbale drop for a project build.  Distributables are also named. For example, we have a distributable called "wtp".   A distributable must have a build, test, site and an upload.  These are scripts under the distributable directory.  Build  determines what components are included in it (see above).  For example, wtp distributable have wst,wst-sdk, wst.test, wst.perf.tests, jst, jst.sdk, jst.tests. jst.perf.tests). It uses compoent build scripts.  Test runs all automated tests to verify the build.  Site generates a website for the distributable drop. Upload sends it to the download.eclipse.org.
To run a distributable build, we use a generic build script and pass the distributable name (i.e. distributable=wtp).  For example cruise control calls distributable scripts with the name wtp.

Generic Scripts:  These are generic scripts that can be used by component and/or distributable builds.  By defining component and distributable names and other build properties, these scripts can be used by any component and distributable build without any change.  That is why we call them generic.  Currently, there are generic scripts for builds, dependencies, and monitoring.  Build scripts  are for running PDE builds (i.e running a component build), they are used for component builds.  Dependency sscripst can be used by components or distributables, provided a list of dependencies (see the scripts and dependency.properties).  They will download a dependency library from internet, store it in a local repository, and install it into a target directory.  These are used to install drivers such as eclipse sdk, emf, gef, jem, tomcat, jonas, piagent, oagis etc.  Finally, monitoring is used to send email messages of build progress.

The rough guideline for adding a generic scripts is that it should run for any component or distributable by just setting a name.  It should not assume any relative directory structure.  And it should not include the sources for any "tooling", but can contain the binary for the tools/tool-plugins.  releng.wtpbuilder should not need any other module to run or should not need to build itself first to run something else.  Tools will remain where they were, i.e. releng.builder/tools.

I imagine performance and api-checks would be "distributable" level scripts.  However, we will not run them with every build.  But this is your area so I will leave that to you.

Hi Naci,

Do you have any documentation on how to do local builds and how to add new "tasks" to the build (ex, performance and api)? Also, is there a way to kick off the test phase without going through the build phase? If so, how?

Thanks,

Jeff

Naci Dai,
eteration a.s.