Re: [wtp-dev] Added detail: Alternate flexible workspace proposals

Chuck,

Thank you for the detailed description.  I appreciate the effort to be as inclusive as possible to as many different project scenarios.   The concept of a "web source" source folder is a good one, and it is conceptually similar to jdt so this it is also good for usability.

There is one point that was not very clear to me. Can you also comment on how flexible projects propose to manage "web libraries" (i.e jars in web-inf/lib ).  I would like to hear your comments on two issues. First, there is a good level of interest in being able to refer to out-of-workspace repositories for libraries.  For example, struts, and spring libraries can be stored in a different folder and can be shared by many web applications.  More specifically, I am looking for a maven-like library/classpath resolution.  I think maven has it right when it comes to managing library dependencies.

Second, I would like to be able to manage web-inf/lib  as a library entry to be used in project build-paths.  For example, if I have a web module, the libraries that the web module contributes to the project build-path (i.e web-inf/lib and web-inf/classes) should be an entity that is usable by the developer in other project and editable by the developer (relates to my first question).  The scenario where this is useful is when  a module is split into a set of projects.

everyone,

I have added some additional details, and two additional scenarios to demonstrate the differences between our current support , and the proposals in our WTP 1.5 timeframe.

http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/jst/components/j2ee/proposals/WTPFlexibleProjectProposals.html

It must be understood that our current support will remain through WTP 1.0, and existing metadata/structure will be migated to any new format/proposal in future releases.

Please respond with your feedback by September 27, we will be making some decisions on this topic soon.

Thanks - Chuck

Rational J2EE Tooling Team Lead
IBM Software Lab - Research Triangle Park, NC
Email:  cbridgha@xxxxxxxxxx
Phone: 919-254-1848 (T/L: 444)

Naci Dai,
eteration a.s.