[wtp-dev] Rolling out our WTP API's

At the last Eclipse Council meetings, there was general "approval" of the following guidelines, so
I'd recommend everyone be familiar with them (especially component leads).
They are still marked "draft" but there were only going to be a few more edits, nothing
substantial. Bjorn has done a great job of capturing the fundamental ideas of the
Eclipse Process and also what Eclipse Quality means.

Book mark this link for reference

http://www.eclipse.org/org/processes/Guidelines_for_Eclipse_Development_Process/

And read this link closely to get "in a quality API mood".

http://www.eclipse.org/org/processes/Guidelines_for_Eclipse_Development_Process/eclipse-quality.html

The most summary statement I can give is that a quality API still needs

Specification
Test Suite
Implementation
Clients

During our December Release review, anything that we say is API will need some amount
of justification to say these 4 things are well met, in a high quality way.
"Number Charts" are not needed, but what is needed is the project leaders
(and technical community!, and clients!) should all agree that these 4 things have been well provided.

So ... if, by M8 exit, anyone has doubts about being able to provide these 4 areas , that probably
means "no", not met. As before, as always, better to have fewer APIs, than low quality, poorly thought out APIs.

At the same time, I know many teams have been doing work to make progress, and we
can not wait until we've reached perfection (we'd never get there!).

So, lets state our plans, make a commitment, then deliver ... in predictable incremental steps,
according to the priorities of our clients.

Back to the top