From: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of Naci Dai
Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 9:48 PM
To: General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues.
Subject: Re: [wtp-dev] What happened to our I-builds?

David M Williams wrote:

> Don't worry ... nothing bad has happened to them .... but I've heard
> that question a lot :)

They were asking you then :-)  Nobody bugged me even once.

> Now we have maintenance builds going .... ability to do separate doc
> build as needed
> (much thanks to Naci, Lawrence and Jeffrey) ....
> ... everyone ready to "Integrate"? (meaning, commit HEAD, and release,
> which means tag that HEAD version
> and update map files in HEAD of releng) .... I hope I don't need to
> draw a picture :)
>
> As far as I know ... all is ready for (at least) a "Thursday I-build"
>  (and I'm sure Naci will let me know if I am wrong).

I-Builds are paused but ready to go.  And today is thursday so lets
start them.

> Naci ... what's your advice (or plan :) on doing maintenance and
> I-builds? Can they both be running "continuously"
> (that is, if changes detected, a build is queued up ... or should we
> have a fixed schedule for one or the other?).

As far as I know running two builds simultaenously has no harm other
than loading the server, but it should withstand that kind of stress.  I
am all for continous builds... But this brings us to your next item,
these builds will happen as things are released so means lot of trial
buiilds.  We should not confuse the user community, seperating the
download are sounds like an easy solution

> BTW, since our "frequent warm-up I-builds" seems to cause some
> confusion about "which and when to download"
> as we do them continuously ... perhaps we need a separate download
> page  "for developers" ... and
> once we "declare an I-build" ... simply move it to the more general
> downloads page?  (all would be public, but our
> intent might be clearer).
>
> (plus .. .we still need to get that "I-build" name changed ... to
> "tagged builds" ... I think was the most recent candidate ... I've
> lost track).

I still like the "I-Build" name, all builds are  tagged, so "tagged"
does not contribute much in terms of information. Plus we use  what all
other projects use.  I am against changing it, especially if it does not
contribute anything.

Naci Dai,
eteration a.s.
Inonu cad. Sumer sok. Zitas D1-15