From: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of David M Williams
Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2005 1:51 PM
To: General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues.
Subject: RE: [wtp-dev] FW: Arrays vs. Collections in new API

Thanks for "netting this out", Konstantin.

Its a good question, and a good time to ask, since normally, I think, Arrays are preferred over Collections (for performance reasons),
but as mentioned in the longer append, returning immutable collections is a good way to improve thread safety.
(I assume it the thread safety you're primarily interested in?)

I doubt we could find or agree on a "whole WTP approach" so if you know of any specific cases or areas, you might
point those out in feature requests with some assessment of impact, performance JUnits, etc.

Thanks for raising this.

"Konstantin Komissarchik" <kosta@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

08/16/2005 03:28 PM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."

"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
RE: [wtp-dev] FW: Arrays vs. Collections in new API

No, we are not proposing to move to Java 5.0 for the 1.0 release. What the conversation was about and what we would like to propose to WTP as a whole is to consider moving to using unparameterized Collections in the API for the 1.0 release. Then, when platform and WTP moves to Java 5.0 (3.2/1.5?), the APIs can be changed to use parameterized collections without breaking binary compatibility.

Thoughts?

- Konstantin