[wtp-dev] WTP update site

Hi,

We'll need an update site when WTP 0.7 goes out the door. I have created an Ant script that semi-automates the creation of the update site. I would like to get your feedbacks on this. Here's how it works. Say you want to generate an update site for RC1, you would run the following command:

ant -DbuildType=S -DbuildId=0.7RC1 -Dtimestamp=200507150303

This will produce a zip file with site.xml and all the update jars in it. By default, the generated update jars will have a 4th digit version in them. Therefore, we can have milestone updates or even integration build updates. For updates between releases (0.7, 1.0, 1.5 and etc...). You would run the following command instead:

This will generate update jars without the 4th digit version.

After the zip file is created, we need to manually upload and unzip it to the download server. For release updates, unzip it to "webtools/updates". For milestone updates, unzip it to "webtools/updates-milestones". The release update site will be the one that we tell the end users to use (docs, update manager and etc...). The milestone update site will be there for users who like to stay up-to-date with the latest milestone builds. Also, I suggest we do not support the scenario where a user wants to update from a milestone driver to a release driver (ex. 0.7RC1 to 0.7). This is because I can't think of anyways to make the version work (0.7.0.RC1 is considered more recent than 0.7.0). That's it for building the update site. Now to use it, you point Eclipse's update manager to either:

http://update.eclipse.org/webtools/updates/site.xml

or

http://update.eclipse.org/webtools/updates-milestones/site.xml

Right now, the first update site is empty because 0.7 is not released yet. The second update site is loaded with RC1. Therefore, if you point your update manager to the second update site, you will be able to update your WTP driver to RC1. Comments/Suggestions?

Thanks,

Jeffrey Liu
IBM Rational Software - Performance Analyst
IBM Toronto Lab.
8200 Warden Ave. Markham, Ontario, L6G 1C7
Internal mail: D3/R8V/8200/MKM (D3-268)
T/L: 969 3531
Tel: (905) 413 3531
Fax: (905) 413 4920