Re: [wtp-dev] Triaged bugs

As per usual, I seem to be in the minority, but I disagree.

* This can give the reporter the false impression that someone is actually working on or looking at the bug.

This is not a fault of the defect tracking policy, just a lack of communication.  Bugzilla has all these nice fields which can make
it blatantly obvious if a defect is actually being worked.  For example, a state of "NEW" would mean it is new and it is not being
investigated and a state of "ASSIGNED" would mean it is assigned and being investigated or implemented.  Maybe we could even
add a new state called "WORKING".  In addition, there is this target milestone setting.  If it is set to a post 0.7 milestone, then obviously
a reporter can conculde this bug will not make 0.7.

* It makes it impossible for people who want to help out to see which bugs are free.

Again, bugs in "NEW" would be free.  I would also suggest that a bug which you would want to make free stay with the component owner
and in the "NEW" state.  That way, someone who wants to help can just look at bugs under the component owner of the component they want
to help in.

To me, this keeps everyone on the same page.  Placing a developer or component lead's name on the defect gives the reporter a sense of
accountability.  If I have a question about the defect or when it will be ready, I know who to email, who to ask.  This also gives the development
team a better sense of how many defects they have.  For example, j2ee tools has like 10 components, most of which are shared with other development
teams.  Having to constantly triage all 10 components is very tedious.  If all the defects are still under the root component, then we would have to read all that
components defects every time just to see if any of them fall under our responsibility.  And then this has to repeated for all 10 components. I just don't
see what the big deal is about taking ownership of a defect which you know belongs under your development team.  This makes for really easy and
straightforward accounting.  What's more, it also ensures every defect is actually looked at.

Just my two cents.  I understand the desire to copy eclipse precendent, but I honestly don't think it works as well for us.  But like I said, I'm probably the minority.
In any case, I will humbly comply with any decisions you reach. :-)

John Lanuti
Software Engineer, IBM Rational
jlanuti@xxxxxxxxxx
t/l 441-7861

"You see this wandering soul, he's never gonna stop, because he loves and he feels this world can grow.
He's not afraid of feeling, he loves what he believes, he feels, and he grows."  - Of A Revolution

Timothy Deboer <deboer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

07/07/2005 09:46 AM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."

wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[wtp-dev] Triaged bugs

Hi,

The current WTP process calls for all bugs to be assigned to someone immediately on arriving in the inbox, to ensure that all bugs have been triaged and are in the right component. Even though we've only been doing this for a short time, we've already been running into some issues:

* This can give the reporter the false impression that someone is actually working on or looking at the bug.

* It makes it impossible for people who want to help out to see which bugs are free.

I vote that we either:

1) scrap this mechanism and follow the way Eclipse does things.

2) generate another set of ids for each component (e.g. "jst.server-triaged@xxxxxxxxxxx") that can be used to indicate the "it's in the right component but nobody is working on it yet" state.

Tim deBoer
WebSphere Tools - IBM Canada Ltd.
(905) 413-3503  (tieline 969)