Re: [wtp-dev] ISV documentation and API docs/Javadoc - ACTION REQUIRED

It looks like Eclipse has
org.eclipse.platform.doc.isv
org.eclipse.jdt.doc.isv

and for the most part, all isv doc is stored there.  There are some misc documents, like samples that are stored in their own separate plugins instead of in the isv plugins.  And it looks like in the build script, these misc documents are copied over to the isv plugin at build time.  If we take the component approach, we could do something similar.  But I think it would be more trouble than it's worth (especially considering how our javadoc is built on WST/JST level).

Jeffrey Liu <jeffliu@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

07/06/2005 10:32 AM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."

"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [wtp-dev] ISV documentation and API docs/Javadoc - ACTION REQUIRED

Hi Susan,

My knowledge on docs are very limited, so bear with me... As background, we are building the isv plugins as part of the WTP builds. Right now, these isv plugins only contain javadocs. These javadocs are built on the WST and JST level. So they are not broken up into the levels that you described below (Web services, XML, etc...). To change this, we need to do some surgery to the build process. IHMO, I think we need more discussion on this before proceeding with breaking up the WST and JST javadocs into finer levels. Does anyone know how Eclipse does their javadocs?

Currently, there are two "books" in the Help system. They are structured as follow:

Java Standard Tools Developer Guide

   Reference

       API Reference

Web Standard Tools Developer Guide

   Reference

       API Reference

Basically, this is the structure that Eclipse uses. So instead of using a sub-topic named "JavaDoc", I say we stick with the above topics (just to be consistent with Eclipse).

Thanks,

Jeff

Susan Yeshin/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

07/06/2005 09:58 AM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."

wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[wtp-dev] ISV documentation and API docs/Javadoc - ACTION REQUIRED

The general structure for the ISV documentation will be as follows:

There should be two 'books' for the ISV guide, one for wst and one for jst. Inside each book will be anchors to the isv doc plugin and javadoc for each component.

WST Developer Guide
Extending Web services
  Programmer's guide
  JavaDoc
Extending XML tools
  Programmer's guide
  JavaDoc

In this example there would have the following plugins

org.eclipse.wst.doc.isv - will contain the master navigation (I will handle this)

   org.eclipse.wst.webservices.doc.isv
              tocfile.xml

      plugin.xml

      topics

           extendwsoverview.html

           extendwspt1.html

                   extendwspt2.html

              images

                    screencap.gif (use only if needed and please grab the smallest part of the screen you can)

  toc link to - org.eclipse.wst.webservices.javadoc***?? - need to find out what plugins the developers put their javadoc in.

   org.eclipse.wst.xml.doc.isv

              tocfile.xml

      plugin.xml

      topics

           extendxmloverview.html

           extendxmlpt1.html

                   extendxmlpt2.html

              images

 toc link to -  org.eclipse.wst.xml.javadoc***??

The same structure would be used for each component under wst and under jst projects.

Please send a note with the extension points you would like covered in your component's guide and send the plugin name that contains your API docs (I do hope they are in a separate plugin) to christoph and cc me. Christoph will be documenting the ISV guides and will likely be contacting you for information.  Please also open a Bugzilla bug with this same information and add the bug # to the email sent.

Christoph's email -
ckrawczyk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
I will be away for a week and will only be able to read my Yahoo mail - syeshin@xxxxxxxxx

Thanks,