RE: [wtp-dev] Client Access Exception of type DANGLING_REFERENCE

That's a good idea for the 0.7 release.  Can you open a defect against wst.common for that?  We can fix in M6.

Thanks!

John Lanuti
Software Engineer, IBM Rational
jlanuti@xxxxxxxxxx
t/l 441-7861

"You see this wandering soul, he's never gonna stop, because he loves and he feels this world can grow.
He's not afraid of feeling, he loves what he believes, he feels, and he grows."  - Of A Revolution

"Konstantin Komissarchik" <kosta@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

06/29/2005 04:38 PM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."

"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
RE: [wtp-dev] Client Access Exception of type DANGLING_REFERENCE

Thanks! That was it. Maybe the error could be made more descriptive? Something like…

 “Attempted to open an already open artifact edit. Make sure to call the dispose method when done editing.”

As it stands right now, it wasn’t clear to me what was going on despite the fact that I knew about the dispose method.

Just a thought…

- Konstantin

General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues.
Re: [wtp-dev] Client Access Exception of type DANGLING_REFERENCE

Konstantin,

When you access an artifact edit, you must release it.  So, anytime you want to get an artifact edit, you want a try finally block

like the following:

ArtifactEdit edit= null

try  {

edit = EARArtifactEdit.getEARArtifactEditForWrite( earhandle );

//do stuff

} finally {

  if (edit !=null)

      edit.dipose()

}

That will prevent the client access exception.

Hope that helps,

John Lanuti
Software Engineer, IBM Rational
jlanuti@xxxxxxxxxx
t/l 441-7861

"You see this wandering soul, he's never gonna stop, because he loves and he feels this world can grow.
He's not afraid of feeling, he loves what he believes, he feels, and he grows."  - Of A Revolution

"Konstantin Komissarchik" <kosta@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

06/29/2005 01:40 PM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."

"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[wtp-dev] Client Access Exception of type DANGLING_REFERENCE

Hi,

I keep getting this:

org.eclipse.wst.common.internal.emfworkbench.edit.ClientAccessRegistryException

This exception was generated to indicate an invalid usage of reference counts. Please examine the stack trace.

Client Access Exception of type DANGLING_REFERENCE

When I make the following call:

EARArtifactEdit.getEARArtifactEditForWrite( earhandle );

Am I doing something wrong? I am using the 6/17 i-build. Is this something that was fixed in a later i-build?

Thanks,

wtp-dev mailing list
wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx