RE: [wtp-dev] Stability of I-builds during release shutdown

Yes. We observed similar pattern.

Adopt an I-Build is a very costly process for us. It is measured in man-days.

Every time, we adopt I-Build that doesn’t go as far as the previous one, we take big hit on productive and we would not able to proceed with some implementation. Without proceed with implementation, we won’t discover critical bug that need to discover before 0.7.

Because we only have 2 weeks, I would think that we want to go one level further. We should respin nightly build every 4 hours, and make it the first priority to have all compile error and JUnit test fixed once it is discovered in nightly build. And, all JUnit test should be deemed critical.

This suggestion might appear to be costly. But, I believe the saving from the unstable build’s cascade effect is beyond the cost. After all, compile error and JUnit tests need to be fixed anyway. Fixing it early enable people/team in the downstream to start working on that earlier.

In short, I counter propose:

1/ We move the expectation of a nighlty build up, as what we would had expected from a I-Build

2/ We respin the nightly build every 4 hours.

3/ We fix all compile error and all JUnit error within a I-Build.

4/ We produce a warm-up I-Build on Thursday.

Thomas