Re: [wtp-dev] WTP SDK bloat

Tim,

Nice work. Let's try to keep WTP lean and mean.

Arthur Ryman,
Rational Desktop Tools Development

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@xxxxxxx
intranet: http://labweb.torolab.ibm.com/DRY6/

Timothy Deboer/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

06/15/2005 04:30 PM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."

wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[wtp-dev] WTP SDK bloat

Hi,

Before anyone flames me, I wanted to explain why I opened up 12+ defects against WTP this morning. When I downloaded our SDK, I found that the source plugins were bloated full of unnecessary files - duplicate source, runtime jars, etc. Although most components only contributed a little bit to the total, when you add it all up it's quite a lot. I know there was a fix made recently to use build.properties correctly and David said he'd give everyone a few days - so think of my defects as 'tracking bugs'. :) Here are the stats:

Original SDK:

53,964K download containing 5,922 files, 81,920K in zip

size on disk: 98,968K

After a couple minutes of minor cleanup and deleting duplicate files:

45,390K download containing 2,687 files, 58,118K in zip

size on disk: 67,231K

For those keeping track, that's a:

16% reduction in download size

32% reduction on disk

45% reduction in files

I did this quickly and probably missed a lot of cleanup that could have been done. Plus, this is _without_ the improvements that could be made by jarring the rest of our plugins. As a reminder:

What belongs in build.properties?

schema files

component.xml

very little else :)

What doesn't belong in build.properties? Basically, anything that already exists within the runtime plugin:

src directories (these are included automatically when you build a jar)

plugin.xml

plugin.properties

icons

manifest files

.classpath

.project

build.properties

runtime jars (yeah, found a few of these!)

Thanks,

Tim deBoer
WebSphere Tools - IBM Canada Ltd.
(905) 413-3503  (tieline 969)