[wtp-dev] WTP SDK bloat

Hi,

Before anyone flames me, I wanted to explain why I opened up 12+ defects against WTP this morning. When I downloaded our SDK, I found that the source plugins were bloated full of unnecessary files - duplicate source, runtime jars, etc. Although most components only contributed a little bit to the total, when you add it all up it's quite a lot. I know there was a fix made recently to use build.properties correctly and David said he'd give everyone a few days - so think of my defects as 'tracking bugs'. :) Here are the stats:

Original SDK:
53,964K download containing 5,922 files, 81,920K in zip
size on disk: 98,968K

After a couple minutes of minor cleanup and deleting duplicate files:
45,390K download containing 2,687 files, 58,118K in zip
size on disk: 67,231K

For those keeping track, that's a:
16% reduction in download size
32% reduction on disk
45% reduction in files

I did this quickly and probably missed a lot of cleanup that could have been done. Plus, this is _without_ the improvements that could be made by jarring the rest of our plugins. As a reminder:

What belongs in build.properties?
schema files
component.xml
very little else :)

What doesn't belong in build.properties? Basically, anything that already exists within the runtime plugin:
src directories (these are included automatically when you build a jar)
plugin.xml
plugin.properties
icons
manifest files
.classpath
.project
build.properties
runtime jars (yeah, found a few of these!)

Thanks,
Tim deBoer
WebSphere Tools - IBM Canada Ltd.
(905) 413-3503  (tieline 969)