[wtp-dev] Be prepared for mass change in Bugzilla (Release 1.0 to 0.7)

I plan to do a "mass change" in bugzilla, to correct a lot of our 'Release' fields from
1.0 to 0.7. I plan to use the rules below. I will do this around midnight (EDT) on
Tuesday. I give this advance warning, since it will produce hundreds of mail notices to those
"listening" to all bugs, so at least I'll give you a chance to tweak your bugzilla e-mail
settings. .... Actually, I tried tweaking mine, and it did not seem to work, not sure if
it takes a while to take effect, or if you must disable it entirely. I will,
however, use this exact text as the comment ... if that allows your mail client's filter
to treat them special:

        Changed Version field given new release numbering.

Rules for mass change:
= = = = = = = = = = = =

- mass change of Version field from '1.0' to 0.7.
        - for all FIXED bugs and enhancements
        - for all OPEN bugs
- enhancements that say 1.0 will stay as is
- anything that is "unspecified" will stay as is

I know this won't be perfect, but should only mis-classify a few that you (owner or
originator) should feel free to correct.

Rules for 'version' field in general:
= = = = = = = = = = = =

I've discussed this some with component leads, have tried to research, could not find much
documented, but observe the following sort of usage in other projects, which I think will
work for us fine (its a little ambiguous, doesn't mean too much, but is workable as a long
term "big picture" sort of statistic).

A bug reporter can assign a version if found on a version (which does not apply to us yet
-- we don't have version zero :). If found "between" versions (development milestones),
reporter should document specific build in comments and leave version "unspecified".

An owner can assign (or change) to a version once fixed in that version-to-be. (this
would be in addition to 'target', which is more milestone based).

(so "unspecified" means reporter found in a development build, and owner "does not know"
when fix will come, and remember just because its not in .7, it does not mean it will be
in 1.0 so a bulk change of to 1.0 to denote "future" is not appropriate.

As always, comments and suggestions welcome.

Back to the top