[wtp-dev] Agenda for WTP Status Telecon, 2005-06-09

As a further step towards integrating all the development teams, we will be holding weekly status telecons. This is especially important as we head into the final stages of our first release. We need to coordinate our efforts and focus on the critical work items in order to deliver a product with the highest possible quality.

Time: 11:00 PM EEST (Istanbul), 4:00 PM EDT (Toronto/Raleigh), 1:00 PM PDT (Seattle)

Toronto Dial-in number: +1-416-343-2604
Toll-free Dial-in number: +1-866-576-2504
Intl Dial-in number: 800-4444-3030
Information: +1-866-224-5844

Conference id: 9976929

Agenda

1. Meeting Time

The current time slot doesn't work for everyone. The proposal is to move the time to 9:00 PM EEST = 2:00 PM EDT = 11:00 AM PDT. Does this work for BEA? I know this is still very inconvenient for eteration. Any other ideas?

2. Bugzilla Backlog

We need to start reducing our bug backlog. Let's use this meeting starting next week to review the bug status and priortize our work. In preparation for this, component leads should ensure that all bugs are properly classified. This means that many bugs will be targetted for future releases. We therefore need to add the Milestones for the future releases to Bugzilla, which brings us to our next item.

3. WTP 1.0 Milestone Schedule

Our Decemeber release has a very short schedule. Let's discuss the timing and naming of the Milestones. There seems to be general agreement that we should NOT start the Milestones at M1 since this would lead to confusion with the WTP 0.7 Milestones. We do NOT plan to rename the existing builds with the new 0.7 release number. There is also agreement that starting with M7 is a bad idea since that sounds too much like WTP 0.7. The proposal on the table is to use M8, M9, M10.

We will ship WTP 0.7 on July 29.
Let's plan to ship WTP 1.0 on Dec. 16 to avoid running into the Holiday Season.

There are 20 weeks between July 29 and Dec. 16.

Let's assume that people will take vacation in Aug. (say 2 weeks). That leaves us 18 work weeks. If we want 3 Milestones, then that's 6 weeks per Milestone.

The primary focus of WTP 1.0 is to upgrade the Provisional APIs to Platform APIs, and to improve the quality. If we defer the introduction of major new function to the Eclipse 3.2 release, then the code base should be relatively stable and 6 week Milestones should be doable. We can create a CVS branch for the Eclipse 3.2 stream to minimize churn on WTP 1.0 while allowing progress on major new function.

Here is a strawman Milestone schedule:

M8 - Sept. 23
M9 - Oct. 4
M10 -  Dec. 16

The alternative is to have just 2 Milestones, 8 weeks apart, and assume all of August is quiet, e.g.

M8 - Oct. 21
M9 - Dec. 16

Arthur Ryman,
Rational Desktop Tools Development