RE: [wtp-dev] [reminder] Key M5 Dates

+1 for M8, M9, M10

Makes the most sense from all perspectives to me.  I understand Lawrence's concern, but 0.7 to me is not a full release, its an initial offering, and
this would drive home the fact we are working towards 1.0 to be that full release.  And also, it's easy accounting in bugzilla, and we can move on
to actually delivering the milestones instead of naming them.

Thanks,

John Lanuti
Software Engineer, IBM Rational
jlanuti@xxxxxxxxxx
t/l 441-7861

"You see this wandering soul, he's never gonna stop, because he loves and he feels this world can grow.
He's not afraid of feeling, he loves what he believes, he feels, and he grows."  - Of A Revolution

Arthur Ryman <ryman@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

06/08/2005 08:47 AM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."

"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject
RE: [wtp-dev] [reminder] Key M5 Dates

Ted,

-1 for renaming WTP 0.7 to WTP 0.6. We already have enough churn and I don't want folks to have to edit documents yet again.

How about skipping M7 and using M8, M9 , M10 for WTP 1.0?

Arthur Ryman,
Rational Desktop Tools Development

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@xxxxxxx
intranet: http://labweb.torolab.ibm.com/DRY6/

"Ted Bashor" <tbashor@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

06/07/2005 06:38 PM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."

"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
RE: [wtp-dev] [reminder] Key M5 Dates

I personally would vote for continuing to increment the milestone number after 0.7, but I have found myself stumbling over M6 being 0.7.

Inserting a micro milestone such that

   M7 == 0.7

would certainly make talking about WTP easier.  (Renaming 0.7 to be 0.6 would solve the same problem...  not sure which alignment would be easier to implement.)

-Ted

General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues.
Re: [wtp-dev] [reminder] Key M5 Dates

Lawrence,

Valid observations.

What about calling these next milestones M101, M102, M103?

Arthur Ryman,
Rational Desktop Tools Development

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@xxxxxxx
intranet: http://labweb.torolab.ibm.com/DRY6/

Lawrence Mandel/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

06/07/2005 05:00 PM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."

"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [wtp-dev] [reminder] Key M5 Dates

I have two concerns with this naming convention.

1. It may be confusing for some WTP users if we have a 0.7 release followed by an M7 milestone.
2. It may further support the view that the 0.7 release is not really a true 'release' if we simply increment the milestones after it.

Lawrence Mandel

Software Developer
IBM Rational Software
Phone: 905 - 413 - 3814   Fax: 905 - 413 - 4920
lmandel@xxxxxxxxxx
Arthur Ryman/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

06/07/2005 03:20 PM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."

"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [wtp-dev] [reminder] Key M5 Dates

Nitin,

I am OK with this proposal since we do not plan to rename all the previous builds to 0.7.

To summarize, the post 0.7 milestones will be WTP 1.0 M7, M8, M9 to avoid possible confusion with the previous milestones.

All - please comment. Unless I hear dissenting opinions, I'll get the new milestones added to Bugzilla.

Arthur Ryman,
Rational Desktop Tools Development

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@xxxxxxx
intranet: http://labweb.torolab.ibm.com/DRY6/
Nitin Dahyabhai <nitind@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

06/07/2005 12:16 PM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."

"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [wtp-dev] [reminder] Key M5 Dates

Arthur,
Given the switch in version numbers, are we now working on what should be
referred to as 0.7M5?.  Calling the first post-0.7 milestone 1.0M7
prevents any confusion with the 1.0M1 that's already out there (unless we
plan to rename all of the prior milestone builds, pages, and documents).
With 1.1 we would still go back to an M1.

---
Nitin Dahyabhai

Arthur Ryman <ryman@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
06/07/2005 12:04 PM
Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."

"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."
<wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."
<wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject
Re: [wtp-dev] [reminder] Key M5 Dates

Chuck,

WTP 0.7 stops at M6 = Final. WTP 1.0 will only have a few milestones. What
are M7, etc for?

Arthur Ryman,
Rational Desktop Tools Development

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@xxxxxxx
intranet: http://labweb.torolab.ibm.com/DRY6/

Chuck Bridgham <cbridgha@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
06/07/2005 10:55 AM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."

"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."
<wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [wtp-dev] [reminder] Key M5 Dates

Hi,

This clasification requires us to have M7,M8,M9 in the target milestone
fields... Can we plan to add that soon?

Thanks - Chuck

Rational J2EE Tooling Team Lead
IBM Software Lab - Research Triangle Park, NC
Email:  cbridgha@xxxxxxxxxx
Phone: 919-254-1848 (T/L: 444)

Arthur Ryman <ryman@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
06/07/2005 10:04 AM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."

wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[wtp-dev] [reminder] Key M5 Dates

We are now entering the home stretch. This note is a reminder of the key
dates. We have less than two months to complete WTP 0.7. I am sure that
everyone wants to produce the highest possible quality for our first
release. We must therefore assess our status and make decisions about what
we can contain and what we need to defer.

We are planning to release M5 on July 1. Our shutdown phase will therefore
begin after the June 17 I-build. This means that all function targetted
for M5 must be committed prior to June 17. After June 17, we will be
focusing on stabilizing M5. Only critical and blocking fixes should be
made after June 17.

In preparation for M5 shutdown, component leads should ensure that all
bugs are correctly classified.

Post M5, we will enter the endgame for WTP 0.7. More details will follow.