Ext: (919) 543-8356
T/L: 441-8356
mdelder@xxxxxxxxxx

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 10:44 PM
To: wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc:
From: Timothy Deboer <deboer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [wtp-dev] Provisional API take II

Hi,

The PMC has decided to defer feature support until 1.1, but make some API provisional in 1.0 (without moving to internal.provisional b/c of the risk this late in the cycle) so that we do not block ourselves from doing it. The suggested documentation for this provisional API was JavaDoc, component.xmls, and release documentation.

Elson has pointed out that it makes sense to standardize the javadoc and use a common task tag that we can all optionally enable. To start the discussion, how about using the following notice, which was used by the Eclipse debug team in v1.0:

 * <b>Provisional API:</b> This class/interface is part of an interim API that is still under development and expected to
 * change significantly before reaching stability. It is being made available at this early stage to solicit feedback
 * from pioneering adopters on the understanding that any code that uses this API will almost certainly be broken
 * (repeatedly) as the API evolves.

The only change I've made is switching the word "Note" to "Provisional API" to make it a better task tag.

Thanks,
Tim deBoer
WebSphere Tools - IBM Canada Ltd.
(905) 413-3503  (tieline 969)