RE: [wtp-dev] Looking for committer with an interesting server-side unit testing and a big heart

I wouldn't worry about clogging up list, that's how we keep "development in the open" (as well as allowing me
one more avenue to publically admit my ignorance :) and keep everyone informed.

I understand now this is for "end user" of WTP -- I missed significance right off!

I think this is a valuable thing, but does sound like it needs long term solution with
review/agreement from TPTP, as well as positive review from
planning/requirements part of WTP PMC to be sure its "in scope" of WTP (since
a defacto standard, not standards body standard). For Release 1,
can it be incorporated in WTP as a potentially temporary plug-in? Perhaps as separate
download? Part of SDK, but not "runtime"?

And, again, just questions, don't mean to be difficult or limiting, just want to be sure things are
correctly reviewed at this late date for R1.

"Daniel Somerfield" <dsomerfi@xxxxxxx>

05/11/2005 08:10 PM

"Timothy Deboer" <deboer@xxxxxxxxxx>, David M Williams/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
cc
Subject
RE: [wtp-dev] Looking for committer with an interestin        server-side        unit testing and a big heart

Hi guys. All fair questions.

Cactus is very, very simple. There really isn’t much to it. All it really does is provide an HTTP-based proxy so that you run a test locally with JUnit, and, in reality, it runs the test in a servlet container. To JUnit, it looks like any other Unit test, but in fact, cactus is sending HTTP requests to a servlet in the container, telling it what tests to run, collecting the results and returning them to JUnit.

It isn’t terribly complicated and it isn’t terribly sophisticated, but it has become the defacto standard since nothing else has stepped up.

We don’t need to provide anything on the server. Cactus provides the servlet. As the plugin exists now, the user has to configure the web.xml by hand so servlet responds to the requests and they have to drop a number of jars in their web-project. I would like to automate both steps at some point, but this seems like a good first step and avoids the whole issue of needing to ship third party jars, at least for now.

I toyed for a while with trying to make this a part of the TPTP project and they were receptive, but the problem is that the most important part of the integration is the automatic deployment that you get from WTP. I think it would be valuable to have TPTP integration ultimately, but that would mean the cactus integration would have both WTP and TPTP dependencies and it is unclear what that would mean.

Anyway, cactus isn’t magic, but I think it is what most people use for server-side unit testing.

I hope this helps. If you want any more information on this, feel free to ask. In summary, is this is something that we think our customers would use and we also think that it is something other users of the WTP project would benefit from.

Oh, and yes, I am perfectly prepared to maintain the code—that’s expected.

I sent this message just to you two so I don’t clog up the list any more, but if either of you feel this should be opened up to the group again, feel free to forward it on.

Thanks,
Dan