Re: [wtp-dev] [Action] Some APIs are using non-API types

Jeffrey,

We have WSDLPlugin that has been flagged as an API access violation, and
this class is generated using EMF. Look at the example below:

===========
public final class WSDLPlugin extends EMFPlugin
public static Implementation getPlugin() { ... // this is where the tool
flags.
public class Implementation extends EclipsePlugin { ... // but this is
public, just an inner class
===========

I would not regard this as an API violation but should I modify the code to
make the tool happy?
Let me know your thoughts on how to go with this case.

Thanks,
- Kihup

             Arthur
             Ryman/Toronto/IBM
             @IBMCA                                                     To
             Sent by:                  "General discussion of project-wide
             wtp-dev-bounces@e         or architectural issues."
             clipse.org                <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc

             05/06/2005 09:25                                      Subject
             AM                        Re: [wtp-dev] [Action] Some APIs
                                       are using non-API types

             Please respond to
                 "General
               discussion of
              project-wide or
               architectural
                 issues."

Jeffrey,

Thx for tracking these API defects. I suggest we let the owners fix these
next week. If any of these violations remain after that (5/16), please open
Bugzilla bugs to track them.

Arthur Ryman,
Rational Desktop Tools Development

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@xxxxxxx
intranet: http://labweb.torolab.ibm.com/DRY6/

 Jeffrey Liu/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
 Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
                                             wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
 05/03/2005 11:28 AM                                                    cc

                                                                   Subject
           Please respond to                 [wtp-dev] [Action] Some APIs
  "General discussion of project-wide        are using non-API types
       or architectural issues."

Hi component leads,

The latest API progress report show that some of our APIs have dependency
on non-API types. For example, a method API returns a non-API type. These
APIs cannot be deemed as APIs because of such dependency. We need to clean
them up. I suggest we either say they are not APIs or we modify them so
that they do not extend/implement/return/input/throw non-APIs. Please
review the report and take necessary actions.

To view the report, open:

http://download.eclipse.org/webtools/downloads/drops/S-1.0
M4-200504292037/apitools/api-progress.html

and click on:

Jeffrey Liu
IBM Rational Software - Performance Analyst
IBM Toronto Lab.
8200 Warden Ave. Markham, Ontario, L6G 1C7
Internal mail: D3/R8V/8200/MKM (D3-268)
T/L: 969 3531
Tel: (905) 413 3531
Fax: (905) 413 4920