Re: [wtp-dev] I20050429 Experience

Hi Arthur,

Here's my comments to your findings:

1. Yes.  The Flexible Project UI is different.  I've updated the Web services tutorials to reflect this.
2. Yes.  The default behaviour is to launch the external browser (I agree that it would be a more consistent experience if the default is left as using Internal Browser, may be a defect can be opened on the Web browser component).  To use the internal browser or to use IE instead of Netscape, change the default Web Browser by using Window -> Preferences -> General -> Web Browser.
3. We have tested successfully with both RPC/Encoded and Doc/Literal deploying to Axis 1.0.  You might have run into a server startup timing issue.  Please open a defect  with details on the error you got from Axis deploy and the exact steps to reproduce.
4. It's a known problem with M4 that the Next button is always enabled in the Web Services and Web Services Client wizard (defect 93269).  The workaround is to click Finish on the last page.  I've listed this (together with other known problems users might hit) in the Known Problems section of the Web Services M4 News and Noteworthy document:

 http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/jst/components/ws/M4/news/jst-ws-m4news.html (the Web services M4 tutorials can also be found under this link)

Kathy Chan
Rational Studio Java Web Services, IBM Toronto Lab
D3-354, D3/R8V/8200/MKM, 8200 Warden Avenue, Markham, Ontario, Canada, L6G 1C7
kathy@xxxxxxxxxx, (905) 413-3022, tieline: 969-6038, fax: (905) 413-4920

Arthur Ryman/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

29/04/2005 06:00 PM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."

wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[wtp-dev] I20050429 Experience

I did some sanity checking of the latest build as of 5pm. I hit a large number of mostly minor problems.

1. The new Flexible Project UI is very different and requires some training. I'm not sure it's more difficult, just different. This makes virtually all of our tutorials in need of revision.

2. I created a Web module on Tomcat 5.0 and an index.html page. When I ran this on the server, the external Web Browser was launched.

3. I created a Java class and created a Web service from it. It initially failed to deploy to Axis 1.0. I switched from RPC/Encoded to Doc/Literal and retried, this time successfully - maybe a server synch problem?

4. The Web Service wizard got stuck on the "Web Service Publication" page. Clicking Next just relaunched the JSP client. I had to click Finish to escape.

So in summary, this was a rocky experience. I would only give this candidate a pass if we followed it quickly it with some good docs, e.g. updated tutorials, and listed known problems and workarounds.

Arthur Ryman,
Rational Desktop Tools Development

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411