Re: [wtp-dev] Goal: Show EMF Resource contents as subtree in Workbench Navigator.

Chuck,

I'm just getting back around to this. Thanks for the response, yes this is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm using it an an example for my own.

<extension
point="org.eclipse.wst.common.emfworkbench.integration.adapterFactory">
      <adapterFactory
            functionGroupID="org.foo"
className="org.foo.outline.provider.OutlineItemProviderAdapterFactory"
            packageURI=".outline"
id="org.foo.outline.provider.OutlineItemProviderAdapterFactory">
      </adapterFactory>
   </extension>

I'm trying to determine the required plugin dependencies to use this extension. Are there any other than the emfworkbench.integration plugin?

-Mark

Chuck Bridgham wrote:

Hi Mark,

The Common Navigator actually has no knowledge of the content providers for the specific models, but the J2EE nodes use a factory class named "DynamicAdapterFactory" that collects registered content providers for each EMF package.

For instance in the jst.j2ee plugin.xml the following extension point is implemented:

<extension
point="org.eclipse.wst.common.emfworkbench.integration.adapterFactory">
      <adapterFactory
            functionGroupID="org.eclipse.jst.j2ee"
className="org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.internal.application.provider.ApplicationItemProviderAdapterFactory"
            packageURI="application.xmi"
id="org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.application.provider.ApplicationItemProviderAdapterFactory">
      </adapterFactory>
   </extension>
   <extension
point="org.eclipse.wst.common.emfworkbench.integration.adapterFactory">
      <adapterFactory
            functionGroupID="org.eclipse.jst.j2ee"
className="org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.internal.provider.ClientItemProviderAdapterFactory"
            packageURI="client.xmi"
id="org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.client.provider.ClientItemProviderAdapterFactory">
      </adapterFactory>
   </extension>

This is a common mechanism for registering content providers for different EMF packages. Currently much of this mechanism is internal , and doesn't have formal documents explaining these ext points.

Hope this gets you further. Maybe I can help more if you provide a specific usecase or requirement?

Thanks - Chuck

Rational J2EE Tooling Team Lead
IBM Software Lab - Research Triangle Park, NC
Email:  cbridgha@xxxxxxxxxx
Phone: 919-254-1848 (T/L: 444)

*Mark Diggory <mdiggory@xxxxxxxxx>*
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

04/12/2005 11:48 AM
Please respond to
mdiggory and "General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."

"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [wtp-dev] Goal: Show EMF Resource contents as subtree in Workbench Navigator.

Saurabh,

From what I see, it is more a part of the J2EE Navigator. But has hooks
into CommonNavigator somehow.

http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/wst/components/common/plugins/org.eclipse.wst.common.navigator.views/schema/emfEnablement.exsd?cvsroot=WebTools_Project

After some digging, here is what I think is a strong example of its
usage in the J2EE navigator

http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/*checkout*/jst/components/j2ee/plugins/org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.navigator.ui/plugin.xml?rev=HEAD&cvsroot=WebTools_Project&content-type=text/xml
http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/*checkout*/jst/components/j2ee/plugins/org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.webservice.ui/plugin.xml?rev=HEAD&cvsroot=WebTools_Project&content-type=text/xml

From what I understand the Common Navigator has some default handlers
for EMF.

Is there anyone you can recommend I talk with about this design and how
to approach using it?

Thanks again ,
-Mark Diggory