Re: [wtp-dev] What's backup plan?

David,
I20050415 is a suitable development target for Web services, but is not a suitable target for functional testing of Web services.

We are releasing a few changes into Web services now that improve the functionality to a point where, with a couple of workarounds, it is possible to get thru the three Axis scenarios (top-down, bottom-up, client). The workarounds are not horribly complex, but they are not trivial either, so even with our latest changes I would still not consider a respun I-build as a good base for beginning proper function testing of Web services. We will need a couple more days and a few more fixes from ourselves and J2EE to get to that point.

So, to sum up:
1. I do not think the changes we are releasing now warrant a respin, but if a respin happens for other reasons, then our changes will get included.
2. I'm leaning in the same direction you are... continuous I-builds. Later today I'm planning to refactor a number of package names in Web services, and continuous I-builds will help me catch any refactoring gliches sooner than next Tuesday morning (not there will be any glitches, of course!)

Cheers - CB.

Chris Brealey
Rational Studio Java Web Services, IBM Canada Ltd.
D3-275, D3/ENX/8200/MKM, 8200 Warden Avenue, Markham, Ontario, Canada, L6G 1C7
cbrealey@xxxxxxxxxx, 905.413.6038, tieline:969.6038, fax:905.413.4920

David M Williams <david_williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

04/15/2005 12:12 AM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."

wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[wtp-dev] What's backup plan?

Remember, by noon Friday, I'd like to hear from all component leads
is this I-buld is suitable for continued M-week testing, or

No, need another I-build, or
No, but let's call it an I-build (suitable for development target), then
immediately start trying to produce a better M-build candidate ... continuous builds
from Friday to Monday. Then test Tuesday Wed, Thursday?

I'm leaning towards this latter, but again, value all views.

Thanks