Re: [wtp-dev] More Renames for Common navigator in HEAD

Thanks for the comments Mark.

Many would agree with you, some of these issues have been discussed, and I just happen to know
that component lead has promised to cleanup that particular 'logger' problem :)

I suggest, however, when you notice issues like this you open a feature/bug request which
details both
1) the problem/issues involved, and
2) the importance/motivation for fixing (for example, if inhibitor for use of R1, or, hard to
load minimum from CVS, etc.)

If you'd like to call to the attention of the WTP Architecture Group, please use [arch] in the
beginning of the bug summary, so we'll find it with some of our standard queries.

Oh ... and, BTW, feel free to open feature requests for a component with a patch that "cleans
up" any issues you can ... if its something that's large and touches a lot of files, like the
logger issue, first please state your willingness to help (in the feature request), and ask the
component lead (in the feature request), when would be the best time to "synch up" to provide
the most useful patch.

Thanks again

Mark Diggory <mdiggory@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

04/10/2005 12:41 PM

Please respond to
mdiggory and "General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."

"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [wtp-dev] More Renames for Common navigator in HEAD

Is the common navigator planned to always have the dependency on JEM and
JDT? Or are there efforts to factor this out into the JST? I notice
there are a number of dependencies that are a little weak. Such as
dependency on a "Logger" class in JEM. Logging could go directly to the
Eclipse logger, dependencies like this cause large libraries (JDT) to
have to be present just to use Common Navigator. Seems as though the
CommonNavigator and the WorkbenchNavigator extension should really be
weaned of such dependencies. I'd recommend that the two be refactored to
function on just the Eclipse Platform runtime and not the full Eclipse SDK.

-Mark Diggory