[wtp-dev] J2EE / Flexible Project changes in 317 Integration build

We have started overhauling our existing J2EE module support for flexible structures, and first evidence of this has been dropped to this weeks Integration build.

First off, all of the New module project wizards have been removed, A new wizard under New -> Java -> Flexible Java Project will create an empty Java project with the necessary metadata.
We are also making sure flexible "components" can be added to any existing Java project seamlessly, but for now the "flexible" project option is available.
We also added New -> Other ->  J2EE Web module that creates a default web module structure inside these projects.  We were unable to add additional J2EE module support by today(EJB,EAR...), but will be
releasing this support over the next few days.

Flexible Structure model changes...

After collecting some feedback at EclipseCon about the term "Module", which has real meaning in the J2EE world, and is also used in the server api...   we renamed our models to be based on "components"

Vijay Bhadriraju created a usage document for the Flexible project model api, and also contains a roadmap from existing legacy api.

http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/jst/components/j2ee/api/flexibleProjectApiAndUsage.html

If any of the following classes are referenced in your code, its time to migrate as they are deprecated or will be soon (Refer to the link above):

org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.internal.web.operations.J2EEWebNatureRuntime
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.internal.earcreation.EARNatureRuntime
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.applicationclient.creation.ApplicationClientNatureRuntime
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.internal.ejb.project.EJBNatureRuntime
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.internal.web.operations.WebEditModel
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.internal.earcreation.EAREditModel
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.applicationclient.creation.AppClientEditModel
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.internal.ejb.project.EJBEditModel

Along with these classes, the Existing Project and Module Creation operations/datamodels have also changed, here are the old and new classes.

org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.application.operations.EnterpriseApplicationCreationOperation -> org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.application.operationsEARComponentCreationOperation
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.applicationclient.creation.AppClientModuleCreationOperation -> org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.applicationclient.creation.AppClientComponentCreationOperation
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.internal.jca.operations.ConnectorModuleCreationOperation -> org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.internal.jca.operations.ConnectorComponentCreationOperation
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.internal.ejb.project.operations.EJBModuleCreationOperation -> org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.internal.ejb.archiveoperations.EjbComponentCreationOperation
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.internal.web.archive.operations.WebModuleCreationOperation -> org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.internal.web.archive.operations.WebComponentCreationOperation

Please send me any questions regarding these changes, and I will try to resolve any issues quickly through this porting effort.

Thanks - Chuck

Rational J2EE Tooling Team Lead
IBM Software Lab - Research Triangle Park, NC
Email:  cbridgha@xxxxxxxxxx
Phone: 919-254-1848 (T/L: 444)

Back to the top