[wtp-dev] Download Mirrors and Statistics

Eclipse has a network of download mirrors. Using the mirrors has two benefits:

1) it reduces the load on our main download server
2) it tracks download statistics

In order to get the benefit of the mirrors, requests must go through a special download script rather than the download server. Therefore, everyone should replace URLs to files on the download server with URLs to the download script. I've done this for the build script that generates our download pages, but there are probably other links out there.

Everyone, pls update your Web pages and scripts to use the mirrors.

Here's how to do it.

Suppose the file is located download server at:

        http://download.eclipse.org/webtools/downloads/drops/S-1.0M2-200412230036/wtp-1.0M2.zip

Drop the http://download.eclipse.org and prefix the URL with http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=
In the above example, this gives:

        http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/webtools/downloads/drops/S-1.0M2-200412230036/wtp-1.0M2.zip

To see the download statistics, e.g. for all files that begin with wtp-, use the following query:

        http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/stats.php?filename=wtp-

Arthur Ryman,
Rational Desktop Tools Development

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077