[wtp-dev] [action required] API Definition Plan

The theme of M4 is "API Definition". Our goal at the end of M4 is to have our APIs defined and ready for public review and feedback. We need to start tracking our progress towards meeting the M4 API exit criteria. Here's a proposal for how the PMC would like to handle this.

We'll do the following each week until M4 is released.
1. Component leads should update their component.xml descriptors by EOD Friday.
2. Jeffrey Liu will generate and publish a progress report Monday .
3. The PMC will review the progress report  at the telecon on Tuesday and discuss corrective actions as required.

To get the ball rolling, the component.xml descriptors must be repatriated to their components. At present Jeffrey is generating these based on the naming convention. All component leads should now grab the latest version of their component.xml and put it in one plug-in that belongs to the component. Recall that a component is a collection of plug-ins and fragments. Pick one plug-in in each component as the "main" plug-in and put the component.xml there in the same folder as plugin.xml.

Every plug-in and fragment must belong to exactly one component.

It is more important now to have an accurate list of the proposed API classes than it is to have all non-API packages renamed to internal. Therefore, update component.xml to exclude any classes that are not going to be API. You can do the renaming later. If you don't understand how to write component.xml files, Jeffrey can assist you.

Jeffrey will update the report generation to be driven from the "real" component.xml that the component leads create. The report will provide the following kind of information so everyone can assess their progress and the amount of work remaining:

For each component and each API class:
1. total number of API methods
2. total number of API methods that have complete Javadoc
3. total number of API methods that have JUnit coverage
4. does a component API overview document exist?
5. a component API completion score which is a weighted average of 2, 3, and 4

If an API is not converging towards the exit criteria we will have to determine if we can redirect resources to it, or failing that, defer it to WTP 1.1.

Arthur Ryman,
Rational Desktop Tools Development

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411