RE: [wtp-dev] server integration proposals

I think it is a good idea to move the publisher mechanism up.

I looked briefly on your generic publisher. In additional to associating
a publisher with a module, we also want the ability to associate a
publisher with the server instance. We also want the ability to define
an order of which publishers are invoked. (let me know if I missed
feature that already exists. :-)

The publishing lifecycle consists of a few steps. We might need to
generate some server specific files. We might also want to invoke an ISV
publisher plugin. The final step might be the actual distribution.

There are several ways of doing the actually distribution. Among the
more popular is file copying and JSR-88. For example, a JSR-88 publisher
that do the actual distribution is general purpose. If there is a good
implementation available already, a server adapter developer might not
want to reinvent it.

Thomas

My
> project could have a common build process, but unique publish process,
per
> server type.
> >
> > Another item for the future... would be nice if the same model were
> adopted for the Export process.  It's quite likely that some publish
> operations could be factored into "assembly" steps and shared between
> Export and Publish actions.  (Plus this might provide an interface for
> persisting some export configuation choices)
> >
> > 2)  Update the Servers view to display module state and status
> >
> >   -  Servers view would become a tree table displaying the modules
> registered for deployment to each server
> >   -  A problem may be associated with both servers and modules.
E.g.