[wtp-dev] Server Tools API changes

Hi,

Two new API changes for wst.server are being dropped immediately for this week's integration build. We'll work with the affected teams to make sure that references to these classes and methods get fixed quickly.

Elson Yuen (lead for the WebSphere server adapter in Rational Application Developer) has been working with me on these changes, adding javadoc, and providing feedback on the API - Thanks Elson.

1. ILaunchable
The ILaunchable interface previously had all of it's methods removed, and was just being used as a marker interface. However, it was confusing given that the Eclipse debug team named an interface with exactly the same name, and it wasn't really providing any useful function. This interface will be removed and replaced with java.lang.Object wherever it was used.

2. IModule parents
This change is to solve several recurring problems with "module hierarchies" (trees of modules) in the API. When server types support modules that contain other modules, (e.g. a Web module contained in an EAR) the generic server had various issues representing this:

a) In a few cases, we had the "parent" information, but it was provided via a clunky aMethod(IModule[] parents, IModule module). (e.g. aMethod(new IModule[] { EAR }, Web))  To improve this, we've merged the two parameters so that a module reference is just the path down the tree to uniquely identify the module. The method above would be changed to aMethod(IModule[] moduleTree). (e.g. aMethod(new IModule[] { EAR, Web }))

b) In other cases, the "parent" information was missing. For instance, if a Web module was contained in two EARs, both copies of the Web module had the same started/stopped state, regardless of the state of the two EARs. In these cases, we've added the parent information as in the above case.

c) When we had to pass around a complete list of modules and their parents on a server, things got worse. In one case, there was a "List[] parents, IModule[] modules". Under the new structure, this can be simplified to "List moduleTrees" which is just an array of IModule[].

Thanks,
Tim deBoer
WebSphere Tools - IBM Canada Ltd.
(905) 413-3503  (tieline 969)