[wtp-dev] Integration Builds

Committers,

Part of M4 build process goal is to get better with the build process.  The first attempt will be to improve our Integration builds.

Our current integration build approach is marginally better than a Nightly build in that all that is different is that it uses a configuration map for a set of integrated component versions.  However, we have not been very successful in producing "stable" integration builds.  They are far and few in between.

The result is we tried to stabilize the code during a Milestone build, which is a much bigger and stressful task.  In the spirit of eclipse, we should really do this in smaller and less stressful steps.

To quote from the definition of an integration build: "..A version of our work in what we believe is a stable, consistent state. Integration builds may be promoted to stable builds after a few days of testing. Integration builds are built whenever new stable component versions are released into the build...."

The process will not be very different than before,  EXCEPT:

1) The trial integration build will be on Tuesday.  There will be multiple builds during the day (Morning, Afternoon, Late Night etc.) to give you more feedback.  Tuesday build will be just a trial build.

2) We will repeat the Integration builds until thursday until its is stable, (giving you enough time to fix problems or retrieve changes).  The final integration build attempt will still take place around 15:30PM on thursday.

A build will be declared an integration build only IF (Meaning we will pull it back if it is not)
        - A build is stable;
        - All modules compile without problems
        - All units tests/build verification tests pass

Naci Dai,
Managing Director

eteration a.s.
Inonu cad. Sumer sok. Zitas D1-15