Re: [wtp-dev] M5a I-Build v20050219 is Complete

Although I agree with Arthur that we shouldn't ship an unstable M3 I want to impress upon all WTP developers the urgency involved with shipping M3 on time. We need to do whatever we can to stabilize M3 this week. Many WTP developers will be occupied next week with EclipseCon and if we don't get M3 stabilized this week it may be difficult to release it next week as well.

EclipseCon is a major showcase for the WTP tooling. There is a hands-on tutorial on Monday which relies on M3 and for which M3 installation instructions have already been distributed. There will also be a press release related to WTP M3 next Tuesday.

Thanks,

Lawrence Mandel

Software Developer
IBM Rational Software
Phone: 905 - 413 - 3814   Fax: 905 - 413 - 4920
lmandel@xxxxxxxxxx

Arthur Ryman/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: wtp-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

02/21/2005 10:03 AM

Please respond to
wtp-dev

wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, wtp-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject
Re: [wtp-dev] M5a I-Build v20050219 is Complete

David,

Thx for the update. As we approach the M3 date, we'll be requesting votes on the ship-readiness of M3. We should be very careful with the quality of M3 since many EclipseCon attendees will be downloading it during and after the event. If the code is not ready for human consumption, then we should not declare the milestone. Presenters and tutorial leaders will have to work with the best available pre-M3 code and work around any problems. We should only declare M3 if it is ready for "unsupervised" use.

In summary, yes, it would be great if M3 was ready prior to EclipseCon. But, IMHO, shipping an unstable M3 just to make that date is not in the best long term interests of our project.

Arthur Ryman,
Rational Desktop Tools Development

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@xxxxxxx
intranet: http://labweb.torolab.ibm.com/DRY6/

David M Williams <david_williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

02/20/2005 10:32 PM

Please respond to
wtp-dev

wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
Re: [wtp-dev] M5a I-Build v20050219 is Complete

Well .... we have our work cut out for us. I tried this build, and would have to conclude it is not ready for community testing.

The workbench opens fine, but there are numerous exceptions when trying to open the J2EE Navigator and create a J2EE web project, several null pointer excepitons, classes not found, and BundleExceptions. I could not "run on server" but not sure if due to other errors or simply I couldn't follow my normal testing path.

Some of these may be due to build.properties files, please check, but some may be due to recent renames? Sensitive to VM?

Here's some of the more prominant errors:

org.eclipse.core.runtime.CoreException: Attempt to activate a disabled plug-in: "org.eclipse.wst.wsdl".

org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Exception in org.eclipse.core.internal.compatibility.PluginActivator.start() of bundle org.eclipse.wst.wsdl.

org.osgi.framework.BundleException: The activator org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.ejb.internal.plugin.EjbPlugin for bundle org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.ejb is invalid

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/wsdl/factory/WSDLFactory

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/eclipse/wst/wsdl/Service

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/eclipse/wst/wsdl/internal/util/WSDLResourceImpl

David

Naci Dai <naci.dai@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

02/20/2005 02:31 PM

Please respond to
wtp-dev

wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[wtp-dev] M5a I-Build v20050219 is Complete

Results are available at:

http://download.eclipse.org/webtools/downloads/drops//I-I20050219-200502201800