Re: [wtp-dev] remaining M3 to do's for annotated servlet support

John,

We have added a few things that will help servlet annotations for the time being.  XDoclet builder can handle servlet annotations now.  We also fixed a few things that should improve usability (choosing xdoclet home,  reflecting ejb spec and servlet spec to xdoclet, adding project classpath to ant scripts, some refactoring, etc.).

FYI

XDoclet support is  an extension to generic ejb annotation support.  Therefore it should not be "explicitly" refernced in wizards, operations etc.

By design, we expect this to be a project level pereference (choose xdoclet, other XX annotation etc.).  However, in M3 we have hardcoded this as it is the only one supported and we did not have time.  This is temporary, we will fine tune the API for M4.

(i.e.code such as
IConfigurationElement[] configurationElements = Platform.getExtensionRegistry().getConfigurationElementsFor("org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.ejb.annotations.emitter.template");
configurationElements[<PROJECTSPREFERREDANNOTATIONINDEX>].getAttribute("builderId")
)

Is how you are expected to find the preferred annotation.

For now, you can get access to the XDoclet builder directly, but we should really define a new extension point for servletannotations similar to EJBs.  This is an M4 task, it is too late to do this for M3.

On the web side, we also have some remaining work items for annotated servlet creation that really need to be finished soon
as the M3 milestone is nearing.

Here are the items which need to be adressed ASAP:

1) A web preference section needs to be added to the xdoclet section for the webdoclet.

Moved this for M4 since the builder is used to generate the deployment descriptors only

2) The web xdoclet builder has to be created and added to web projects.  For now, I added the same xdoclet builder from the
session bean operation into the servlet operation.  But you probably know better than I how this needs to be tweaked.  We will
also need any code to get the xdoc gen of the web.xml working.  Currently this is not working at all.

XDoclet builder can do webdoclets now.

I will be creating the servlet tutorial so that we can test these creation scenarios on Monday, but I really need these xdoclet issues
to be resolved before then as well.  Do you think you can have this for M3?  Let me know if I can do anything to help.

Thanks,

John Lanuti
Software Engineer, IBM Rational
jlanuti@xxxxxxxxxx
t/l 441-7861

"Well, in the end, my friend, we will all be together again."  -Of A Revolution
"I'll be awful sometimes, weakened to my knees, but I'll learn to get by on the little victories."  - Matt Nathanson

Naci Dai,
Managing Director

eteration a.s.
Inonu cad. Sumer sok. Zitas D1-15