Re: [wtp-dev] WTP Preferences

Definitely should not be by project or even subproject. Don't forget, part of our purpose is to be a platform for others to extend and add to, so the users of those "add on provider" products might not even know about "WTP" or "JST" or "WST" ... but they should know about XML, J2EE, etc.

I suggest this decision be made after through review of M5 preferences. The base has made some changes there. Following our lead, they've added support for editors, at least, to have 'preferences' open up for preferences related to just that editor (and content). I think I recall there being some requests to do this for perspectives and views, but not sure anyone has implemented that yet.

Plus, we probably should have a good "activities" definition, which interacts with preferences. I know I've heard names associated with this task, but haven't checked milestone plans to see if its "in plan" or not. (perhaps this post will cause owner to come forward :)

David

Lawrence Mandel <lmandel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

02/17/2005 10:55 AM

Please respond to
wtp-dev

wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
Re: [wtp-dev] WTP Preferences

I agree with Chris.

It's also possible that sometime in the future another subproject, for example PHP, will be created in the WTP or that some other group will create a project that builds on WTP. In this case we'll probably want a J2EE category and a PHP category so that both Java and PHP and whatever other project types (Perl, Ruby, etc.) are not all thrown together in the same category.

Lawrence Mandel

Software Developer
IBM Rational Software
Phone: 905 - 413 - 3814   Fax: 905 - 413 - 4920
lmandel@xxxxxxxxxx

Chris Brealey/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: wtp-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

02/17/2005 09:40 AM

Please respond to
wtp-dev

wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
Re: [wtp-dev] WTP Preferences

Naci,

is it the number of top-level preference categories, or the organization within and amongst them, that you're more concerned about?

I'd be a bit wary about placing all our preferences under one top-level category. It's one category for the user to go to, however, Web Tools is pretty big and covers a few major domains or "skill sets" - More than one or two, and less than the number of components in WTP. One or two categories might actually obscure the path to these domain preferences. I would tend towards structuring our preferences - most especially the categories at the top which the user first sees - around the major domains in the WTP, such as...

1.        Server

2.        Database

3.        Web (and Web services?)

4.        XML

5.        J2EE

Immediate subcategories of the above could be based more closely on the subsystems in David's architecture overview document. http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/development/arch_and_design/ArchitectureOverview.html. (PS: There are a few "stragglers" like validation and internet. Would it be taboo to add things like that under Eclipse's existing "General" category?)

Just throwing some more ideas into the pot here.

Cheers - CB.

Chris Brealey
Rational Studio Java Web Services, IBM Canada Ltd.
D3-275, D3/ENX/8200/MKM, 8200 Warden Avenue, Markham, Ontario, Canada, L6G 1C7
cbrealey@xxxxxxxxxx, 905.413.6038, tieline:969.6038, fax:905.413.4920

Michael Elder <mdelder@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

02/17/2005 08:32 AM

Please respond to
wtp-dev

wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
Re: [wtp-dev] WTP Preferences

Naci,

   The single category approach would make it easier for users to find
preferences -- afterall, end users shouldn't need to be aware of the
component organization of the project just to setup preferences. So my vote
is for option 2.

Kind Regards,

Michael D. Elder
Rational Studio / J2EE Tools Development
IBM RTP Lab
Ext: (919) 543-8356
T/L:  441-8356
mdelder@xxxxxxxxxx