Re: [wtp-dev] Flexible Project Structure Concepts Document

Hi Gorkem,

      To answer your questions:

(1)  Does deployable module output for a module include its dependent
modules? Or to pack and deploy the module, one has to follow its'
dependencies?
The answer is that it depends. For our M3 deliverable, we are focused on
supporting more flexible Web projects, and expect that web library modules
will be archived and pulled into the WEB-INF/lib directory for deployment.
Enterprise Applications will (hopefully) not need to have their dependent
modules pulled in. We know that Websphere can run from fragmented
Enterprise Applications (like WSAD 5.x and RAD 6.0), but more input from
the server team would be helpful here to know what we will need to do. The
design of the deployment builder is very flexible because of our heavy use
of "modular/encapsulated" WTP Operations, and it could be that the decision
of whether to copy in dependents for deployment would be determined by the
server. Any comments or suggestions on this topic are more than welcome.

(2) If a module depends on two modules in two separate projects and
one of the projects have compile errors, how will the builder behave?
Is it going to be possible to warn user since no dependency check is
performed?

Across projects, we will still have some dependency checking because we can
scope the classpaths on a per project basis. So if a module has a class
which uses another class in one of its dependents, compile errors will show
up and carry through. Currently each individual deployable operation is
unaware of compile issues. If the Java builder cannot compile classes for
dependents, then our deployable module builder operations will not be able
to consume those class files and errors could occur at runtime. However,
since we're still using the standard Java builder to compile classes, the
user will be able to see any compile error markers in the dependent
module's classes.

We may be able to handle some validation using the validation framework
that could highlight problems with the user's dependent modules. At a
minimum, we'll probably have to add some validation for paths in the
metamodel that are invalid or for dependent modules that are unresolveable.

Kind Regards,

Michael D. Elder
Rational Studio / J2EE Tools Development
IBM RTP Lab
Ext: (919) 543-8356
T/L:  441-8356
mdelder@xxxxxxxxxx

Monday, February 07, 2005 5:36 PM
I have a couple of questions regarding the builder behaviour with the
dependent modules.
(1) Does deployable module output for a module include its dependent
modules? Or to pack and deploy the module one has to follow its'
dependencies.
(2) If a module depends on two modules in two separate projects and
one of the projects have compile errors, how will the builder behave?
Is it going to be possible to warn user since no dependency check is
performed?

Over all this feels like a good solution, The deployable module
builder and having a ready deployable module output is a great idea. I
am looking forward to it. please let me know If I can be of any help.
--
Gorkem Ercan

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 18:10:38 -0500, Michael Elder <mdelder@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Extended Team:
>
>         The following document provides an overview of the Flexible
Project
> Support. We are targeting the completion of the first draft of the
Flexible

http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/indexwebtools.cgi/%7Echeckout%7E/jst/components/j2ee/development/design/FlexibleProjectStructureDesignOverview.html