Re: [wtp-dev] Flexible Project Structure Concepts Document

Hi Thomas,

A (server) runtime target is the compile time target for a particular project. When you target a project to a particular runtime, it will typically change the classpath, and may change validation or other settings on the project. It only takes as long as a rebuild.

The limitation that is outlined in the document is that there is only one runtime target per project, whereas the project may contain multiple applications or modules. The reason for this is simple - most Eclipse settings, like classpath, can only be defined at the project level. So if you have one module module per project, you have ultimate flexibility of targetting each module to a different runtime. When you put multiple modules in the same project, they will be targetted the same, regardless of whether they are going to be deployed to different servers. In my experience, this is not a huge restriction since putting the modules in the same project typically means that they have some affinity and will likely be deployed together.

This targetting is a build time statement, and ultimately does not affect deployment. Switching the target does not deploy the project to the new runtime or undeploy it in any way. Although we may warn you or provide some other mechanism for situations where you compile against one server and run on another, this may often make sense or not be an issue. To add or remove a module from a server, you can (among other ways) go to the Servers view, right click on a server, and choose Add/Remove Projects (note - menu item will be renamed now that there may be multiple modules per project). Moving modules to the right deploys them to the server, moving them to the left undeploys them.

Thanks,
Tim deBoer
WebSphere Tools - IBM Canada Ltd.
(905) 413-3503  (tieline 969)
deboer@xxxxxxxxxx

Michael Elder <mdelder@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

02/07/2005 03:40 PM

Please respond to
wtp-dev

wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
Re: [wtp-dev] Flexible Project Structure Concepts Document

The deployment or removal of an application will be handled by the Server
Tools Team led by Tim de Boer, who would be able to answer this question
better.

Tim -- what are your comments on Thomas's question?

Kind Regards,

Michael D. Elder
Rational Studio / J2EE Tools Development
IBM RTP Lab
Ext: (919) 543-8356
T/L:  441-8356
mdelder@xxxxxxxxxx