[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index] [List Home]
Fw: [wtp-dev] Practice makes perfect

The following plugins were renamed:

org.eclipse.wst.xsd.editor to  org.eclipse.wst.xsd.ui
org.eclipse.wst.wsdl.editor to org.eclipse.wst.wsdl.ui

The old ones are still in the repository until we have successful build and

Best regards,

Ella Belisario
IBM Toronto Software Laboratory
8200 Warden Avenue
Markham, Ontario L6G 1C7
Tel:   905-413-5834     Fax:   905-413-4903
----- Forwarded by Ella Belisario/Toronto/IBM on 11/24/2004 05:25 PM -----
             M@IBMCA                                                    To 
             Sent by:                  wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx                 
             wtp-dev-admin@ecl                                          cc 
                                       Re: [wtp-dev] Practice makes        
             11/19/2004 12:14          perfect                             
             Please respond to                                             

Thanks for that Dave.   Where your comments relate to my team's plugins I
agree with all the changes you suggest and plan to make those changes soon.



Craig Salter
Rational Studio XML Web Services
Internal Mail: D3/RY6/8200 /MKM
Phone: (905) 413-3918  TL: 969-3918 FAX: (905) 413-4920
Internet: csalter@xxxxxxxxxx     Notes: Craig Salter/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA

 David M Williams                                                          
 Sent by: wtp-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx                                     To 
 11/18/2004 11:39 PM                                                    cc 
              Please respond to                          [wtp-dev]         
                   wtp-dev                               Practice makes    

Looking at the recent I-build and cvs contents, I thought I'd make a few
observations here on the mailing list, instead of opening bugzillas ... so
hopefully we can all profit from a little "group discussion" and a little
"group learning".  Eventually, as these types of things become isolated
issues, I'll just open bugs or feature requests.
[And, I know there's already plans and work going on in some areas, like
getting junit tests in the builds, so am just hoping notes like this raises
our project awareness of some of these "quality" issues, its not to lay
blame or cause embarrassment .. well, not too much anyway :)  .]

1. Looks like following two plugins were checked in to CVS with a /bin
directory before bin was added to .cvsignore file. Remember, once its there
in CVS, you can't ignore it. Please correct, otherwise it always shows up
as a "changed project". (I believe there is a way ... turn off autobuild,
remove bin from cvsignore, delete bin, synchronize so bin is 'deleted' from
repository, then add to cvsignore before regenerating bin, commit
cvsignore. (I don't know about current Eclipse, but at this point you might
have to delete whole project from workspace and re-checkout for it to


2. several plugins (too many to list) have their jars compiled to a
'runtime' directory. There's no strict problem with that, and I guess its
not explicitly covered by other written conventions, but I know I find it a
little confusing ("runtime" meaning something to do with servers, external
binaries, etc). I think the Eclipse convention is to have the jar in the
"root" of the plugin, unless someone knows of some other pro or con, I'll
suggest we have our compiled jars in root of plugin, and reserve "runtime"
to contain special binary jars that come from some other source that happen
to be required by that plugin.

3. I think the following should pretty clearly be "ui" instead of "editor",
according to our naming conventions.

org.eclipse.wst.xsd.editor, and

4. Just to pick on one example, which is clean enough to make a good
example (that's a complement),
It seems
could be a "model only" plugin except for one little "validate action".
Couldn't that action be moved to the xml.ui plugin, so xml.validation is
purely model-side?

5.  The following plugins still have Eclipse flagged "unused imports"

But, I'll admit, I noticed in the build logs there were many others,
including some of my own teams plugins, that had unused imports flagged,
even though not flagged in Eclipse. Upon investigation, I see the reason
for that is that those "imports" are used only for JavaDoc. Eclipse won't
call those an error, though the
build compiler will. I believe the only cure for this is to use fully
qualified name in JavaDoc, when its not otherwise needed for an 'import'.
(In some cases, this problem might just be due to "old" javadoc anyway).
I'll update our "practices" document with the convention to use fully
qualified names in javadoc. You may need to "manually" check the build
and "manually" fix cases only flagged there. Current versions of Eclipse
will automatically use the fully qualified name in that context if Eclipse
tools used (Alt-Shift-J).

It is important to cleanup our compiler warnings so it'll be obvious when
there's a warning we should heed. As it is, there's too many to look at and
some of them might be indicating something important.

6. And, not to leave out one of my components, I know sse.core indirectly
pre-reqs SWT, but that's  known issue with FormatStratgy. Kit Lo is looking
into that
(we think its either been fixed in base Eclipse 3.1 (with alternative
available), or there's a fix in mind .. we will verify and follow though).

Keep in mind, this list is just scratches the surface from a few minutes
Please read
and practice, practice, practice :)

I always fear notes like this will seem "negative" ... which is not my
intent. In fact, I'm very happy we've finally got a recent (fairly) clean
I-build to look at, so these issues can be concretely discussed ... so
thanks and congratulations to everyone who helped make this build happen.