Re: [wtp-dev] a new WTP Architecture Overview document is available

Fernando,

There are Web services tools in both WST and JST. The WST tools deal with the aspects of Web services that are independent of J2EE, i.e. WSDL editing and validation, WS-I test tools, UDDI browsing and publishing. The JST tools support the J2EE specs, e.g. JAX-RPC.

However, we need to make the distinction between Java in general and J2EE in particular. For example, JDT supports J2SE but not J2EE. A future version of JAX-RPC will include a J2SE binding for clients. We'll need to decide which bucket to put that in. My feeling is that it should also go in JST despite the name.

Arthur Ryman,
Rational Desktop Tools Development

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@xxxxxxx
intranet: http://labweb.torolab.ibm.com/DRY6/

fernando@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: wtp-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

11/23/2004 07:18 AM

Please respond to
wtp-dev

wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
Re: [wtp-dev] a new WTP Architecture Overview document is available

Hi,

> - Conceptually it seems that there should not be any JDT dependencies in
> WST, due to our obviosly categoric seperation of Web and J2EE standard
> tools.
>
> However, the distinction is not clear for Web Services; it is hard to
> imagine that proper tooling and frameworks for web services can overlook
> java bindings for web services and java types on top of validation, and
> delegating Java part of Web Services completely to the JST project would be
> a more critical design flaw than a dependency on JDT (i.e. if you need full
> WS support your depencey will be JST (an indirectly JDT).

I could not understand this reasoning, please enlighten me. What is the strong
dependency beteen web services and java? And, if there is such stroing ties,
why putting everything under JST would be a critical design flaw?

I though web services where about the provider and the consumer being any
language you wish to use. I can, for instance, write consumer for web services
using PHP and providers using Perl. I can get great plug-ins for PHP and Perl
development under Eclipse. But why should I need to install JDT in order to
develop my webservices using Eclipse WST if I won't use Java at all?

On the other way, the Web Service support for Java is officially part of the
J2EE and it requires other J2EE components, like web containers. Even the
non-web part of it (like JAXB, XML bindings to Java classes) are defined as
part of the J2EE plataform. So, if I had to use Java to implement web services,
JST would be the natural fit for those Eclipse components.

Maybe the tools you use to develop Web Services were written using Java. Maybe
some of them are focused on Java developers. The first case you can solve by
factoring out the dependencies from the JDT so I don't need to include all of
it to just generate and validate WSDL files, for example. The second case can
be solved by creating a component that I don't need to install on order to use
other web services-related functionality from WST on my non-Java development.

PS: I hope no one gets pissed of me being so vocal on list about my opinions
but not having provided a single patch so far... PHP and Perl developers were
allways glad to receive the feedback of someone who would be using the tools
early on their design cycles, but maybe you prefer to have a more closed
discussion beteen developers.

[]s, Fernando Lozano