Re: [wtp-dev] a new WTP Architecture Overview document is available

Also we may have some "JEM" dependencies in wst right now,   we are currently working to break these dependecies and refactor before the M2 release.  So the "vision" in the presentation still makes sense.

Thanks - Chuck

Rational J2EE Tooling Team Lead
IBM Software Lab - Research Triangle Park, NC
Email:  cbridgha@xxxxxxxxxx
Phone: 919-254-1848 (T/L: 444)

Lawrence Mandel <lmandel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

11/22/2004 10:08 AM

Please respond to
wtp-dev

wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
Re: [wtp-dev] a new WTP Architecture Overview document is available

Hi David,

"
JDT. Not required by WST, but required by JST. Note: we don't rule out that we might require it someday in WST ... but no known cases currently."

The validation framework currently requires JDT although there's been talk about removing this dependency. Just thought you should be aware of this for your presentation.

Lawrence Mandel

Software Developer
IBM Rational Software - XML Web Services Tooling
Phone: 905 - 413 - 3814   Fax: 905 - 413 - 4920
lmandel@xxxxxxxxxx

David M Williams <david_williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

11/22/2004 04:32 AM

Please respond to
wtp-dev

wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[wtp-dev] a new WTP Architecture Overview document is available

I've started a new WTP Architecture Overview document, temporarily available in CVS as indicated below.
(After some initial "sanity check" review, I'll move to website location, and delete old one based on initial contribution).

http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/indexwebtools.cgi/%7Echeckout%7E/wtp-jst-home/WTPArchAndDesignDocs/WebContent/arch_and_design/ComponentsBySubsystem.html

It's basically the "component view" from the previous document. (This one, though, is truly architectural, it describes

where we want to end up ... it does not describe the existing structure, which needs much refactoring and holes filled in).

In this version, I have done much more to group some components into "subsystems".

I think these subsystems will be important for the following reasons:

      1. it gives some conceptual simplification, not to be under estimated (we have 11 subsystems, 23 components, and
          still too many individual plugins to be easily understood).
      2. I think its easier to describe dependancies at a sub-system level, instead of component by component.
      3. Most important, for most readers, will be that I think the subsystems can form the building blocks
              of our top-most "PDE features" ... some of which would be available via update manager. In fact,
              in that overview, I've proposed 3 subsystems be made available via update manager, in addition to JST and
              WST, that is. Namely, XML Subsystem (which includes schema and dtd components), JSP Web Resources (JSP editing/model, with all
              dependancies, e.g. HTML, CSS, _javascript_), and lastly, the "Database Subsystem" (RDB and SQL).

              I picked these three because these are the only three I've heard from both users and other projects as being
              important to be available separately from WST and JST.

              I'm sure other projects and some users will want more fine-grained pieces ... but I propose that if they do, they would
              have to download larger piece and then pick out what they want. (There's always limits and trade-offs

              to be made with the divisions ... I've tried to reach a meaningful, but manageable balance). Again, this is a proposal,
              please let me know if I've overlooked other requirements or have been too accommodating. In summary, this would be
              5 updated manager features, each with "runtime" and "SDK" flavors, for 10 total ... I hope no one wants more!]

              [BTW, I also propose we not worry about any accurate sub-feature definition

              for WTP M2 ... that we wait until the WTP M3 cycle to even begin defining those in the repository].

Please review overview for accuracy and completeness. I am due to present/review this to EMO
Architecture Council on 12/2, so ... sorry I haven't allowed more time for review.

Ideas and feedback more than welcome, as always.

Back to the top