Re: [wtp-dev] Proposing a solution to cleanup unwanted plugins

I've added the following "practice" to our practices document.

Obsolete directories in CVS. If, due to renaming, refactoring, or just spelling mistakes, a directory in CVS should literally be deleted, to avoid a large of confusing directories, please use following procedure. First, if it contains source, I recommend versioning that plugin's source, with a name such as "obsolete<date>". Next delete the source, and leave in its place a single file named "obsolete.txt" . If appropriate, that file can contain information about why obsolete, where the replacement is, etc. Lastly, we'll periodically ask the webmaster to literally delete those directories from CVS (not typically an easy thing to do, since it is a source code control system!

David

Vijay Bhadriraju/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
Sent by: wtp-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

11/17/2004 02:27 PM

Please respond to
wtp-dev

wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[wtp-dev] Proposing a solution to cleanup unwanted plugins

Over past couple of weeks we have been adding new and renaming existing plugins to the wst and jst components in wtp and moving plugin between wst and jst. We are releasing these changed plugins leaving the old plugins in there and without any info on what is the correct plugin to load as there are 2 out there with different names but same content. One of them is the right one and one of them is the wrong one.

To do a cleanup of the wrong ones which are out there which are basically not needed anymore, I had the following proposal

1. For the wrong plugin out there we check it out, delete out all its contents and put in a text file (like delete.txt or replaced.txt) which says what is the new name of this plugin and which component/sub project is it moved to or renamed

2. Whoever has the authority to delete plugins from WTP repo can safely delete this plugin that is empty and has only one text file in it with the above name.

Any comments and suggestions ? I am sure this issue might have already striked in someone's mind in wtp.

If this issue has already been discussed then please send out the results of that discussion.

Thanks, Vijay
Vijay Bhadriraju
Rational Tools, J2EE Tooling
Ph: (919) 486-1898, T/L: 526-1898