Re: [wtp-dev] should WST have references to JDT?

Fernando,

There is no contradiction. WTP is a set of Features that can be assembled into packages. There is no implication that any user or vendor needs to take everything.

For example, at present we have two packages:

1) all of WST
2) all of WST and all of JST

I'd like us to also identify useful subsets of Features for specific tasks, e.g

3) XML authoring tools from WST

Package 3) would not have any JDT dependency, even though some Features in WST might.

The whole purpose of Features is to allow grouping of plug-ins. As more technologies get added to WTP, it will become even more important to identify independent subsets so users can download just what they need.

Arthur Ryman,
Rational Desktop Tools Development

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@xxxxxxx
intranet: http://labweb.torolab.ibm.com/DRY6/

Fernando Lozano <fernando@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

11/14/2004 09:40 PM

Please respond to
wtp-dev

wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
Re: [wtp-dev] should WST have references to JDT?

Hi Arthur,

You said:

> (1) I agree we need to avoid forcing users to install more than they need.
> (2) However, that is a different goal than completely removing any JDT
> dependency from ALL plug-ins.

Sentence (1) contradicts (2). JDT is usefull only for Java developers,
and you cannot say all or most developers interested on XML need or want
to use Java. So, to get (1) you need to remove JDT dependencies from
everything that is not Java-related. And all Java stuff should de
outside the base WST features.

[]s, Ferando Lozano