Re: [wtp-dev] should WST have references to JDT?

Hi,

Please allow me do drop an opinion, although I currently have no contribution
to WTP:

> Whether or not JDT is a pre-req is a type of litmus test ... I think it'd
> be very rarely needed in WST, if ever, but might sometimes be allowed if
> it played some minor implementation detail that didn't effect the API.

From the Web Tool Project objectives, I understand WTP should have no
dependencies on JDT becausee JDT is all about Java but WTP should be used for
develoment that does not includes Java at all. Say a PHP IDE using WTP for
HTML, CSS, XML and SQL.

But current Eclipse projects does not follow closely this concept. For
instance, VEP runtime can only run if you install the PDE. But why does I need
the plug-in development tools if I just want to develop Swing apps?

I guess these are cases where an implementain detail affected the plug-in
interfaces. A priori this is bad design but sometimes difficult to avoid in the
real world. Yes, if I am required to install the JDT to use WTP (or the PDE to
use VEP) this *is* part of the plug-ins public interface. And adds bloat to the
user environment.

Of course this kind of refactoring (moving utilities out of JDT and/or PDE so
other projects don't depend on them) is a lot more complicated as it requires
coordination between diferent teams, but it should be done.

[]s, Fernando Lozano

Back to the top