Re: [wtp-dev] Request for "navigator" component to be moved to wst

+1

Arthur Ryman,
Rational Desktop Tools Development

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@xxxxxxx
intranet: http://labweb.torolab.ibm.com/DRY6/

Chuck Bridgham <cbridgha@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

11/09/2004 08:18 PM

Please respond to
wtp-dev

wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
Re: [wtp-dev] Request for "navigator" component to be moved to wst

I like this proposal the best.  Let's remove the navigator component entirely, and I will move these plugins to wst common component.

Any milestone plans attached with the navigator will be merged with the "common" plan.

Thanks - Chuck

Rational J2EE Tooling Team Lead
IBM Software Lab - Research Triangle Park, NC
Email:  cbridgha@xxxxxxxxxx
Phone: 919-254-1848 (T/L: 444)

David M Williams/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
Sent by: wtp-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

11/09/2004 03:25 PM

Please respond to
wtp-dev

wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
Re: [wtp-dev] Request for "navigator" component to be moved to wst

Chuck, would the 'common' component be a good home for this work? I'm not sure its needs a separate CVS home and bugzilla component.
Its seems analogous to tabbed properties view, which will be in 'common' component. Similarly with 'snippets view' (if and when we can
make it completely free of sse dependancies).

I think the definition of 'common' component is something that's not really web or jst related ... and is pre-req'd or used by more than one other component ... and could

in theory be part of base eclipse.  (I say 'in theory' just to emphasize that it has no dependancies on other web or jst components, I don't mean to say it "should" be in base,
though that's debatable in this case :)

It seems "common.navigator" would still be good plugin/package name.
It could still have its own 'feature' and plugins, and still be in 'common', right? And there need be nothing "common place" about the plugins in 'common'.

Have you heard my old story about "Common Lisp" ... in version 1 they found no one got excited about it, because it was perceived as "common place" so in the second

version they called it "Common Golden Lisp" ... maybe we should have named that component 'golden' :)

David

Chuck Bridgham/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
Sent by: wtp-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

11/09/2004 01:02 PM

Please respond to
wtp-dev

wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[wtp-dev] Request for "navigator" component to be moved to wst

I have another move request after studying the dependencies, and intended audience of this component.

The "navigator" component offers a pluggable content based view that is fully customizable - and is not limited to jst components.

This component belongs in wst so components from both subprojects can take full advantage.

Thanks - Chuck

Rational J2EE Tooling Team Lead
IBM Software Lab - Research Triangle Park, NC
Email:  cbridgha@xxxxxxxxxx
Phone: 919-254-1848 (T/L: 444)

Back to the top