Re: [wtp-dev] For testcases that require Tomcat (and other servers)

Currently build team (Deniz) keeps external downloads cached at a local disk. In the build.cfg file, he provides the URL for the download, the build scripts are "supposed" to download these files, and keep them at a local folder until the url changes (For simplicity I believe he check the scripts and downloads them manually now). They are unzipped and installed each time with a build.

I suggest that we follow the same principle; a) Provide the URLs in a file (i.e. build.cfg or test.cfg), and the scripts will make sure that thay are available locally. b) Provide additional parameters (i.e. root folder for installation) so that they are available to the tests in a standard manner. c) Create a guideline on how to add new tests and include them with a build.

Currently, we have a tools that can send "alerts" to emails after a build fails/passes, so as long as the perf-tests have a pass/fail mechanism similar to that of a build, these email will work.

Hi all,

I'm working on some junit testcases for server tools and Web services
tools. For now, these testcases require Tomcat to be installed (will
require other servers in the future). I was talking to a couple of folks
from the base project and learnt that there was a similar requirement for
Team/CVS tools. Basically, they need a CVS server running somewhere. The
way they worked this out is to use a property to specify the URL to the CVS
server. The same approach can apply to Tomcat; however, this approach
requires some level of maintenance because we need to keep up with the
different servers and their versions. Another approach is to check in the
actual zip files into CVS, but these zip files are usually pretty big
(Tomcat 5.0.2.8 is 10MB+ and JBoss 4.0.0 is 80MB+), also not sure if there
are any legal issues with doing that? Personally, I like the first approach
more, but I want to get inputs from other people. Any
suggestions/solutions?

Thanks,

Jeff

Naci Dai,